Any tips on reducing bitmap memory size?

I seem to be doing something wrong. My custom bitmap files take up a huge amount of space compared to the default SC 2 files.

For example, the default 3d_sprites is about 4.5 Mb in size. One of my custom 3d_sprites files, with 2/3 of the sprites ERASED is 12.7 MB!

How do I cut down on the memory size?

Normal Dude, take a look at the quality of the bitmaps you are saving... my guess is they are 24-Bit high resolution. All the bitmaps in SC2 are saved as 8-Bit thus reducing their size as you have noticed.

What I would suggest is working on all your *originals* in 24-Bit, i.e. 16 million colors+, and then when you are satisfied convert them to 8-Bit, only 256 colors, for your final mods. I would still hang on to the originals though if possible in case you need to redo portions of your bitmaps. I only mention this as when reducing to 256 colors you sometimes lose a bit of the quality depending on how detailed it originally was but for the most part it is not noticeable.