U.S. Culture Corps

Sgt Joch

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Perhaps if we go back to the '50s, then the meaning is more analogous.

However, the dictionary definition is not the issue here, it's how the word is used. I've certainly seen 'Liberal' used in exactly the same manner as 'Infidel'

I don't often see the words "kill the liberals" scrawled on the walls of my neighborhood.

Originally posted by Nidan1:

I guess it would be pretty hard to be polite when you are breaking into someone's home and searching it for bad guys or weapons.

Exactly the time you need to be at your very politest, I should have thought.

When I was taught how to set up a VCP, it was stressed that the man talking to the driver should always be immensely polite. I imagine this was intended to keep some semblance of normality in the proceedings, which would otherwise be rendered a trifle tense by the fact of your oppo keeping a bloody great SLR pointed at the driver's head at all times (a fact we were far too polite to mention).

I find it odd that the military, especially the Corps would go through so much trouble to teach young Marines about Islamic culture,

Why "Especially the Corps"? The US Army may have little experience of or interest in low-intensity operations, but the USMC have historically been rather good at them.

When I wwent to Vietnam, all I was told was to shoot back at the people shooting at me. [...] What matters that they know local customs?

Do you really think there is no connection between failing to win the "hearts & minds" battle in VN and the ultimate US humiliation there?

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by John D Salt:

Do you really think there is no connection between failing to win the "hearts & minds" battle in VN and the ultimate US humiliation there?

If anyone stands to be humiliated by military prowess or lack thereof in Vietnam, I would say the South Vietnamese get full honours. You can win all the hearts and minds you want; matters little if they don't have the will or ability to fight for themselves.

Even if I thought the US military was "humiliated' I wouldn't have unnecessarily thrown in that word when speaking directly to an American who fought there. Give your head a shake, John. "Defeat" would have done just as well.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

You added "...by military prowess", not words I ever used. If you don't think the US was humiliated in Viet Nam, how exactly would you characterise the result of the war? And what on Earth would qualify as "humiliation", in you book?

I'm intrigued as to how you think "will and ability to fight" can be divorced from people's "hearts and minds". Lots of South Vietnamese fought courageously; sadly, many did so for the Communist cause.

No, wrong, it would not have done just as well. "Defeat" would have suggested a purely military loss. The performance of the US military in Viet Nam was good enough that they effectively never lost a battle, wherever things recognisable as battles were fought. "Humiliation" describes the international loss of face to the whole country and the loss of confidence in the Army that the US suffered as a result of its involvement in Viet Nam.

John.