Which RPG type is this?

MikeyD

Awhile ago BFC showed screenshots of several RPG types for the game. I was reminded of this photo of an uncovered RPG cache in Iraq. What type round are the ones with the red arrows pointing at them? I had thought it was the HE version but I was wrong. According to the BFC weapons model it could either be the thermobaric warhead (Yipes!), or it could be the tandem warhead design without the fuse extension nose - Does the extension nose detach separately from the warhead body? Are the 'things' at the top of the photo the separate fuse extensions, or are they the thin-bodied HE round variant?

Any ideas on the topic? I haven't read/heard anything official about thermobaric round being encountered in Iraq.

RPGround.jpg

I dunno. It doesn't look like a Soviet or Russian warhead as far as I know. Looks a little like the TBG-7V (thermobaric), but the nose is wrong. I've also not heard of this round being used, however that doesn't surprise me too much. Except for specific conditions it is really nothing more than an HE projectile in terms of effect.

BTW, I'd guess that some of these wouldn't have worked so well when fired :D

Steve

red arrows are pointing at Chinese Type 69 bounding anti-personnel rounds. common both in Iraq & Afghanistan.

those HEAT rounds too look pretty Chinese to me, though they appear so old they could well be ancient & primitive Soviet ones.

[ September 29, 2006, 09:11 AM: Message edited by: undead reindeer cavalry ]

Thanks for the tip Undead Reindeer Cavalry. I'm glad I was at least able to say that it wasn't Soviet/Russian :D Just so you guys know, if you didn't already, there are a number of grenades made by a large number of countries. For the most part there isn't much difference between them. The main difference is cost and possibly ease of purchase.

Steve

Wow - Wikipedia knows EVERYTHING!!! I just snagged some new info.

"Type 69" is the Chinese name for the reverse-engineered Russian RPG weapon itself. Here's what it says about the bounding round.

"Bouncing anti-personnel round: This round works in a similar way to the bouncing anti-personnel fragmentation mines. On impact, it bounces off the ground to a chest to 2m height then airbursts over the target area. The airburst is much more effective than typical blast warheads especially toward entrenched troops. The airburst has a lethal radius of 18m."

I can't quite fathom how you get a flat trajectory RPG grenade to bounce. One suppose that whatever it does on impact - bounce or not - the fuse must have a slight delay.

Our mystery round in the photo looks rather like the second round down in the screenshot, which nobody's identified yet.

[ October 02, 2006, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]