Future Weapons:Stealth on 2a.m. PDT Thurs. Discov Chan

Segments will cover the Barrett M107 .50 cal. semiautomatic sniper rifle, the brand new super quiet U 212 class FRG sub (hybrid Diesel/electric/ fuel cell), the Predator UAV, and the F-22 Raptor fighter. Schedule info is for Time Warner Cable.

Regards,

John Kettler

P.S.

Next week: MLRS and MetalStorm

[ April 27, 2006, 02:24 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

I was thinking about the German U212 after watching that last night.

It occured to me that the hydrogen stored outside the ship even if it has been designed to blow outward (should it blow) that when deep enough it will become irrelevant. The inner hull pretty much has to take the force. Action v reaction and all that...

Yikes, all the Pentagon needs is another White Elephant submarine class so they can keep fighting the cold war. I can't recall subs being of much utility in Afghanistan, can you? And in the meantime Rumsfeld's set plans in motion to scrap the whole B52 bomber fleet.

Martin Krejcirik,

And just what is it thats threatening us right now or in the near future that requires a Naval stealth Bomber. To my recollection the only SSN that has ever fired a shot in anger was HMS Conquerer at the Belgrano, and that was nearly 25 years ago.

Oh and given the cost over runs the first three Astute class are comming in at close to £1bn each. Thats enough to by 1,000 Strykers.

Peter.

[ April 29, 2006, 10:48 AM: Message edited by: Peter Cairns ]

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

Martin Krejcirik,

To my recollection the only SSN that has ever fired a shot in anger was HMS Conquerer at the Belgrano, and that was nearly 25 years ago.

Pete,

Not sure if that's entirely true. Didn't HMS Splendid fire 15-20 cruise missiles at Iraqi targets in '03?

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

And just what is it thats threatening us right now or in the near future that requires a Naval stealth Bomber.

True, but if you are going to face just a few terrorists in Afganistan, why do you need ANY modern systems at all ? Or why don't just buy cheap Russian stuff ?

These are all more long term strategic decisions. If you stop developing your own subs, you will probably never be able to re-start it again. They will be gone forever. I remember I read somewhere, the US needs to build a minimum two subs a year just to retain ability to build any.