Airpower is awesome.

More specifically, the bombs they drop - holy hell! It's a shame these aren't in more missions - I'm on mission 9 or so and this is the first time I've seen aircraft. But man, what a show. Whoever did the effects/sound/etc - well done! Felt like a mini-nuke.

I called in about 4 fighters around the same time, and the bombs arrived all at once. There was barely anything left of the town.

My only suggestion for the UI on these is that when I'm calling them in - "Light/Medium/Heavy" isn't very descriptive of what they do. It would be nice if it instead listed what weapon systems they use at each level - 500lb bomb? 2000 lb bomb? Or just cannon strafing?

Anyway, very cool.

Originally posted by molotov_billy:

My only suggestion for the UI on these is that when I'm calling them in - "Light/Medium/Heavy" isn't very descriptive of what they do. It would be nice if it instead listed what weapon systems they use at each level - 500lb bomb? 2000 lb bomb? Or just cannon strafing?

For the AH-64s it's quite straightforward.

light = cannons, medium = rockets, heavy = Hellfires

Judging from what the manual says, I reckon it also depends on the aircraft's loadout.

The editor distinguishes between "Air Support" and "Antitank" for all aircraft, with 3 available payloads for each mission and aircraft (light, medium and heavy).

Theoretically I'd say CAS tends to use a loadout consisting mostly of bombs, while Antitank favors missiles.

The light, medium and heavy are probably the types of ammunition carried by the aircraft.

Light = 250lbs bombs (maybe also missiles?)

Medium = 500-1000lbs bombs and missiles

Heavy = 2000lbs bombs and missiles

I can confirm a F-15 with "medium" payload using missiles when asked for light air support, so I reckon the pilot picks the closest alternative if not equipped with the exact weapon.

Originally posted by birdstrike:

For the AH-64s it's quite straightforward.

light = cannons, medium = rockets, heavy = Hellfires

Judging from what the manual says, I reckon it also depends on the aircraft's loadout.

The editor distinguishes between "Air Support" and "Antitank" for all aircraft, with 3 available payloads for each mission and aircraft (light, medium and heavy).

Theoretically I'd say CAS tends to use a loadout consisting mostly of bombs, while Antitank favors missiles.

The light, medium and heavy are probably the types of ammunition carried by the aircraft.

Light = 250lbs bombs (maybe also missiles?)

Medium = 500-1000lbs bombs and missiles

Heavy = 2000lbs bombs and missiles

I can confirm a F-15 with "medium" payload using missiles when asked for light air support, so I reckon the pilot picks the closest alternative if not equipped with the exact weapon.

In my not-so-humble opinion, that just sounds like a lot of guess work to me. I'd rather just have the game tell me what asset's they use at each level.

Originally posted by molotov_billy:

In my not-so-humble opinion, that just sounds like a lot of guess work to me.

I also find this rather realstic, since that's basically all a real commander on the ground can do when asking for air support.

It might be useful to imagine what you try to convey to the pilot when calling for air support:

Picking light will tell the pilot to reduce the chance of collateral damage, even at the rist that the target is not destroyed by the attack, while medium will tell him to use a weapon capable of taking the target out even though it may cause collateral damage. And heavy tells him to use the most powerful weapon at his disposal to destroy the target, no matter what.

Of course ultimately, you'll never know exactly, since the aircraft you're asking for a little help taking out a sniper on the roof may only have a 2000lbs JDAM at his disposal. :D

"Anyone up there with a GBU-24? I need a medium sized explosion, not too big, but not too small, just right" ;)

As a rule of thumb I also like the following approach:

light = boom!

medium = BOOM!

heavy = All the way to China! :D

Originally posted by Childress:

Does anyone miss the sounds and shadows from CM 1-3?

Actually I've thought about that!

First of all as regarding the shadows I'm glad they aren't there, since modern planes go much faster than old ones... So might be difficult even to see the shadow.

What I'd like to be added though is some more sounds!

Actually when something just "explodes" you might guess it's that airplane you called, but think about how immersive and suggestive would be to hear first a low-altitude strike with supersonic engines blasting, just after that some bomb or missile shrinking the air and then the boom!

I'd love to.

Originally posted by Childress:

Does anyone miss the sounds and shadows from CM 1-3?

oh common, don't be so ... histopricaty

Hellfires can be shot from 3Km until 7km FFARs and Cannon from 1.5 km

modern planes (exclude A 10, this isn't a plane, this is a cannon, modeled around soming waste-metal and some Wings, i'am everytime wondered how this thing lifts up...) traveling with something around 300 - 700 knots. in CM:SF we use FAS designation and as it mentioned in the Manual they drop JDAMs, so they don't need to go down. Normal attack alt in such situation, as high as posible (something above 15000 feet let us gues 20000feet) ok some simple physiks, free fall, curved throwing: without take care of aero dynamik and airresistance the bomb is able to travel 20000feet (this something around 6 KM)

ok and now tell me which sound you want to hear an witch shadow do you want to see?

well ok the small roaring of supersonic travel but mostly weapons a fired slower than supersonic...

comparing tho the size of the planes, the distance, and that modern pilots don't want to expose themselven (ok some of them want this...) i never se a shadow of an object that is that fare away an is only as big as a dot ^^

[ August 10, 2007, 12:45 AM: Message edited by: Raptor 2101 ]

I just realized something which has escaped my notice up to now. redface.gif

There are several small bars just below the aircraft image in the fire support panel, indicating the ammunition carried by the seleted plane. There is no real indication of the type of ammunition as the icons below each bar all look alike, but it's a start I guess.