Air-to-ground missiles destroy tank targets

M1A1TC,

That was a JDAM, probably a 1000 pound model, which scored a direct hit, as best I can tell. OTOH, this tank does not appear to have been combat loaded. I think the damage you are seeing is extreme for smaller weapons, unless the target vehicle is K-Killed while loaded with ammo and fuel. The Javelin live fire test comes to mind.

The antitank versions of the AGM-65 Maverick, for example, sport 173 pound shaped charges, while the close support version has a 300 pound Blast Frag warhead. We used to joke at Hughes that the warhead was there only in case the weapon missed.

this was because the KE of the missile rivaled that of a 16" shell. The truth of that statement may be seen in the Imaging Infra Red Maverick test with dummy warhead. It smashed in the engine compartment completely and set the tank afire. Don't believe me? Ask Jacques Littlefield. He and his people are rebuilding that very tank.

The Israelis found that the early television guided Mavericks and later Scene Magnification Mavericks did such horrific damage that the tanks struck directly couldn't be repaired at all, thus, switched to aiming at the tanks' shadows, yielding M-Kills via detracking and running gear damage.

You don't see our tanks exploding like this thanks not only to heavy armor and protected ammo stowage, but because of the lightning quick fire suppression system originally developed by Hughes subsidiary Santa Barbara Research Center.

Regards,

John Kettler