Reverse Slope - No aim point

Reverse Slope has the ability to target. Just harder to hit

Reverse Slope also has the inability to target due to "No Aim Point"

Your still in LOS so you do not receive a "No LOS" you just have a more difficult shot.

Is this the only explanation provided in that thread? I don't feel like combing though all 7 pages of that very dull thread.

I still don't understand what is going on here. Why does my MGS have no aim point to the slope of road in my screenshot? Does 'reverse slope' refer to the target, or the aiming unit? What is the distinction between no LOS and no aim point? I don't know what that means. Is this another bug?

Originally posted by Huntarr:

It makes it easier for us to find and fix the errors when you keep them in the central LOS/LOF thread.

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=52;t=001850;p=7

It has been explained here.

I think its about time someone from BFC put up a FAQ. These questions keep coming up and searching through a thread with 200 responses is a little unreasonable. Can someone official finally come up with explainations in one concise place. I feel I spend a quarter to a half of my game time coming to these forums looking for answers to game questions.

wood, buddy if you hadn't noticed BFC and most of the beta's are starting to elect not to post in the outer board due to some of the constant negative postings. :( aka_tom and others (including myself) have been trying to help out but if no one chooses to read what has been posted previously then why would anyone post again and again? The focus is more on just fixing what we know is a problem rather than try to explain that it's broken again & again. You have been very good at asking polite questions so keep it up. smile.gif

I think it would go a long way towards cleaning up the noise. People who ACTUALLY play the game need questions answered on how to play and what its doing. The manual is somewhat incomplete and out of date already. I bet half the bugs people are talking about here would go away if we had some kind of reference, designers notes, FAQ. It would seem to save a lot more time than for someone to have to keep coming on the board and answering the same questions.

If BFC is not reponding because of the negative posts, they could at least not abandon the rest of us who are trying to enjoy the game by making it a heck of a lot easier to get answers. After 1.04, its not the bugs that are frustrating, its the lack of knowledge and understanding of how things are supposed to work.

Now my question is do you work for BFC. Are your answers actual official answers or guesses from being a beta tester. I have seen too much guessing from people acting like they know the answers only to send people down the wrong path.

How much time should I alot to digging through thousands of posts for an answer. Customer Service at some point would say, take all those answers and put them in one place. Then again, why make it easy for your customers when you can be annoyed at them for asking questions.

"No Aim Point" means you do not have a point of aim. (Snap-to-grid) That is the why BFC used a big circle with a line through it and used text for a detailed explanation to show you. You may see the area (LOS) but not able to hit it from that position (LOF). The ridge and grass are obscuring your LOF not LOS. You should move forward to target that area.

If what BFC used to describe why you could not hit that area but yet see it then what text and symbol would have helped you understand that you had “Reverse Slope - No Aim Point”? Maybe it could be used in a future patch.

Note: Area targets always “snap” to the underlying action grid in CMSF pg.59

You may see the area (LOS) but not able to hit it from that position (LOF). The ridge and grass are obscuring your LOF not LOS.

Maybe I am mentally dense, but that seems nonsensical.

I can visually see the area, but I cannot shoot at it? Grass is preventing the firing of a 105mm round at an area I can see? That's because....

Again, this only makes sense to me if this is some kind of an issue with gun depression, that is, I can see the area but cannot get the gun barrel down far enough to get a shot. That may be what the issue is, but it is unclear to me.

That may be what the issue is, but it is unclear to me.
i guess not, as i saw many tanks shooting impossible shots so far. sometimes they dont even bother to traverse the gun exactly to the target, the shell just leaves the barrel and than "steers" instantly towards the target(no i dont mean ATGM´s).

i made the following two observations with "revers slope".

1. most of the time you will hit the target as if it would be normal.

2. units ignore such targets when they are in a cover arc although they are, as said, mostly as sucessfully engaged as non reverse slope targets.

thats a pain as this can give you nearly for a minute a shooting enemy unit, noone shoots at no matter if covered by an arc or not. if you tell em manually they do and succesfully too but that can take a minute of unpunished enemy rampage.

Doesn't seem to be a barrel depression issue based on these two pics.

Here is where this becomes a problem, when two BMPs are hammering your MGS with HE.

In the first pic, I can give a legal target order on one of the BMPs

cmsf2xf3.th.jpg

But if I try to target higher along the road, which would be less depression on the gun, and clearly visible, I get the No Aim Point message.

So for some reason I can shoot the BMPs but not the road along the hill behind them.

cmsf3oj9.th.jpg

Not a feature I guess, but a bug. I cannot get this kind of no aim point message using infantry, by the way.

wood, buddy if you hadn't noticed BFC and most of the beta's are starting to elect not to post in the outer board due to some of the constant negative postings. :( aka_tom and others (including myself) have been trying to help out but if no one chooses to read what has been posted previously then why would anyone post again and again? The focus is more on just fixing what we know is a problem rather than try to explain that it's broken again & again. You have been very good at asking polite questions so keep it up. smile.gif

A simple diagram of exactly what an "Action Point" is, and how it relates to terrain, LOS, and LOF, would be a bare minimum to expect. So far I've seen no such thing, although it's possible that I missed it.

-dale

If "Reverse-Slope" means "hull-down" or "target partially obscured" wouldn't it be better to use these perfectly descriptive terms?

Reverse slope is a specific military term understood by most CM players to mean the defender is totally obscured on the other side of a hill. Using this term in this context is very misleading.