Some questions and suggestions

Garm

Hello to everybody.

I have been playing the CM1 series and I am also enjoying SF so far. Normally, I almost never post in any forum, but I think that this game has indeed so much potential (the first game I preordered in my life) that I just want to ask some questions and suggest some enhancements. These days, it is something extraordinary that a developper team actually listens to the community, so I am sure a lot of problems will be solved in the weeks and months to come.

1. Has anybody been able to mark mines? I have read the manual. In one campaign mission, I was given some pioneers and I wanted them to mark mines. Although the button was there, it was not clickable. How does it work?

2. It seems to me that the Strykers can almost turn on the spot and do not have the appropriate turn radius for a wheeled vehicle. By the way, are there any vehicle that can drive through walls? I thought a least the Abrams could do it.

3. First aid: I don't know how many soldiers in a squad know how to give first aid, but I have seen so far only one man doing it, even if there are more than one wounded.

4. In the after action report, there are often soldiers declared as "missing in action". How is it calculated by the game?

5. Fighting in buildings: Although my men can see the enemy, they do not start shooting immediately.

6. I have seen several times that squads are not using there whole firepower to shoot back after they have come under attack. Only after I have assigned the target manually, all men were returning fire. They same for the MGS-Stryker: The will rarely use their main gun if you don't assign a target. And even when you do, they will often shoot only one round or so.

7. This has alredy been mentioned. I don't know whether it is realistic, but it seems a bit harsh to me that the whole squad in a Stryker is dead, even when the Stryker is knocked out from the front by an rpg.

8. Are some units harder to spot than others? I would be nice if snipers were much harder to detect than basic infantry. Some different graphics (snipers with ghillie suits) would be cool.

9. This has also been discussed, but a hit report like in CM1 would be a big help. Now, you have to check manually if some parts of a vehicle were damaged after an attack.

I also miss surrendering/routing units.

10. New units: Special forces would be great, but also german units. Maybe this cannot be implemented, but a simulation of the M1133 Medical Evacuation Vehicle to get wounded from the battlefield (with a much bigger chance of survival) would add a lot to immersion.

11. UI: Detailed tool tips would help a lot.

12. If I double click on a Stryker, I select the whole group. But if the infantry is dismounted, a double click selects the infantry as well, which is a bit annoying. It happended several times to me that I gave a Stryker group a movement order via double click and I realised later that its infantry moved as well (often when it should hold a position).

13. Like others before me, I also would welcome a hold fire button. When you want to move a forward observer, you don't want him to alert the enemy too early. A special hold fire command for heavy weapons would also be nice to prevent wasting of javelins.

14. Another question: Is the armor penetration system as detailed as in CM1? I ask because the data given by the game does not make a difference for exaple betwenn side hull and side turret armor.

2) Strykers can do that in real life. The four front wheel scan pivot.

6) True. There is a lot of baby-sitting in the current build of the game.

7) Most of the time all of them die but there are instances where we have survivors.

12) Double click is designed to select the whole group. You didn't notice since the infantry is in the strikers the first time around. So you will have to use Shift+click for your strikers when infantry is dismounted.

[ August 02, 2007, 03:22 AM: Message edited by: jomni ]

4. In the after action report, there are often soldiers declared as "missing in action". How is it calculated by the game?

I think that the MIA represent the soldiers that were healed during the battle. If I'm correct, healed soldier give you some points.

5. Fighting in buildings: Although my men can see the enemy, they do not start shooting immediately

There is an abstraction here. You see only a single room but imagine that your troops are moving room to room. Even if they "see" ennemy soldier, maybe they cannot fire at them in "real".

In buildings, what you see is not what they see smile.gif

I think that the MIA represent the soldiers that were healed during the battle. If I'm correct, healed soldier give you some points.

I thought that first aid helps to prevent that severely wounded soldiers become KIA and stay WIA.

quote:Originally posted by Garm:

Well, a hold fire button would be a bit more comfortable, I think.

I'm not 100% sure, but doesn't the 'Hide' button do this?

Yes, but only if your soldiers stay in position, if I remember correctly. I am referring to a command which allows you to move and hold fire.

Originally posted by Garm:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr /> quote:Originally posted by Garm:

Well, a hold fire button would be a bit more comfortable, I think.

I'm not 100% sure, but doesn't the 'Hide' button do this?

Yes, but only if your soldiers stay in position, if I remember correctly. I am referring to a command which allows you to move and hold fire. </font>