MikeyD: Space Chimp

I have a PC genius buddy who's VERY amused at the thought of me going PC. He's also on the far side of the country and of less help than he ought. I went for Steve's 1 Gb USB flashcard easy-out before he had even mentioned it (it cost all of $9).

My progress to date. At this very moment reinstalling the mac OS for the second time (believe me, you don't want to know why). :rolleyes:

Space Chimp Out

Woo Success! ...I think.

Mac all partitioned using Boot Camp. OSX running nicely on one side, Windows running nicely on a big 70 Gig partition. the igig transport drive boots on both sides. Happily I had a spare PC mouse handy, the mac mouse just wasn't doing the job for me.

Now to find something to load onto the beast. There is hope! :D

• 2 weeks later...

A brief Space Chimp update for those contemplating the same upgrade:

Windows and OSX living happily side-by side with no conflicts on my imac. I took Steve's advice above and located and downloaded ATI's second-to-latest driver (Catalyst 7.1). I also visited the Microsoft site to download updates to Windows XP, most particularly the one numbered "KB896256" for computers with multiprocessor chips, and the download named "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Redistributable Package" so Windows will cooperate with installation of the ATI driver.

I'm soooooo happy i know people who apparently know what they're talking about on this kinda stuff.

Windows and OSX living happily side-by side with no conflicts on my imac.
I'm sure Windows says it's happy. But you can bet it's got some fiendish plan.

Threaten to call Dell if it doesn't behave. Dell generally recommends erasure and re-installation.

"KB896256" for computers with multiprocessor chips, and the download named "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Redistributable Package" so Windows will cooperate with installation of the ATI driver.
Trying to figure out what the heck those patches do distracts the OS for awhile, but it's only temporary. This is why ATI must introduce bugs into the drivers. Some people will tell you to be happy with the bugs you've got, but you really do need a source of bugs that's more reliable than MS.

I'm soooooo happy i know people who apparently know what they're talking about on this kinda stuff.

Fiendish plans! :mad:

Originally posted by MikeyD:

A brief Space Chimp update for those contemplating the same upgrade:

Windows and OSX living happily side-by side with no conflicts on my imac. I took Steve's advice above and located and downloaded ATI's second-to-latest driver (Catalyst 7.1). I also visited the Microsoft site to download updates to Windows XP, most particularly the one numbered "KB896256" for computers with multiprocessor chips, and the download named "Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Redistributable Package" so Windows will cooperate with installation of the ATI driver.

I would suggest turning on automatic updates and install all updates, not just those ones.

Originally posted by Pzman:

Two times, wow, thats crazy. I'm still using the factory installation on my MBP. Don't do that with Windows XP, because you can only activate the key two or three times before the license expires.

I have reinstalled windows XP pro 8-10 times. I do it whenever I do a major hardware upgrade. I have exceeded my renewals, but that just means I have to call microsoft each time to get a new free authorization, adds about 5 minutes to the process since they are open 24 hours a day, so that is nothing to worry about.

"...and install all updates, not just those ones."

Yeh, I just mentioned those in regards to setting up the machine for future gameplay. I still have "miles to go before I sleep" before that mac/PC project is all nailed down - but I should at least good to go on CM and (hopefully) ToW :D