training mission 003 - area fire marking far from click

Im playing the tutorial (I had heard there wasnt one) but Im finding it hard to lay suppressing fire down in this mission as when i click "target", then on a building, etc. it marks it sometimes many metres infront of the intended target...

I'm 99% the units have LOS too

From the manual:

"Area targets always “snap” to the underlying action grid in CMSF"

I guess they needed this feature to prevent unrealistic targetting to bypass the relative spotting.

Relative spotting doesn't make much sense when you can simply order a unit that can't see a specific target to fire at the ground exactly underneath said target.

but it means I cant target a specific house etc! An d soldiers have radios over which basic targets can be given!

And - what about a platoon which has spotted a target but does not want to hit it directly?

[ July 27, 2007, 04:56 PM: Message edited by: fireship4 ]

What difficulty are you playing at?

If you are playing vetran or elite there wont be a instant datalink between units. That means if unit A have spotted a enemy and unit B hasent yet. Then it will take time for A to relay back that it have spotted a unit etc. That means unit B will act as if the enemy A have seen wasnt there.

Keep your line of communication intact :D i guess that might be your problem.

Another example showing a unit with clear LOS not being able to target a building....

I did actually manage to get it to target the building but only by clicking randomly around. I have run in a few resolutions from 1024 to 1280

btw this happens at close range too, tried to target a building 100m away same thing. On this map they are all behind walls granted but shouldnt make a difference as LOS is clear.

hpoo.jpg