Quiztime!

mazex

To lighten things up a bit here I think it's time for a quiz (and some Guiness??)

Below are three images of Swedish armoured vehicles that probably are unfamilar to most of you, therefore they are excellent for a quiz...

Vehicle A:

A.jpg

Vehicle B:

B.jpg

Vehicle C:

C.jpg

Question 1. Which one is a:

STRV 122 - Beefed up Leopard 2-A5 Main Battle Tank

CV 9040 - IFV for an infantry squad with a 40mm Bofors gun, like a Bradley but better ;)

PATGB 203A - Personnel Carrier used for UN (police like) missions.

Question 2. Which one is according to Swedish doctrine never meant to be in the "real" frontline, even though it has advanced multilayer armor, weights 23 tons and has a fully turret covered 20mm gun?

Question 3. If you answered the same vehicle above - does it look very much lika a ______________ ?

Bonus question. Which of the vehicles above would you like to be able to command in CMX2 module 13 - "US invades Sweden after pressure from irritated BFC forum members"?

/Mazex

The reason the PATGB (a Finnish SISU) got the 20 mm turret was because we had them. The turrets used to be mounted on the PBV 302 APC.

The main problem with this gun on the PATGB is that you can't depress the gun very much (mainly because the turret is mounted to the rear). And sometimes it might be nice to have something less then at 20 mm gun. There's no coax mg in the turret.

As a side-note: the 20 mm gun was originally used in the SAAB J-29 jet fighter in the 50's IIRC (these fighters were used in the UN mission in Congo in 1960 (?)). The Swedish military never throw anything away. After all, we bought MT-LBs when Germany was scrapping them!

The PBV 302:

pbv302_4.jpg

To answer the bonus question:

The CV 9040. 40 mm HE or AP. :D

Bonus info:

The STRV 122 uses 120 mm mortar rounds as HE. There's saying in Sweden: "You use what you have". Why develop a new round when the stocks of old mortar rounds can be used? It's used against lightly armoured targets as well.

Adam L: what's a SODD 055?

1) What Adam L said

2) Ditto

3) Actually, I'd have said the German Fuchs, but the PAT has a two piece windscreen and super-glued-on turret

As for unknown, the Hagglunds CV90 series is currently one of the best sellers on the international IFV market, and the Strv122 is similar enough to a regular Leo 2A5 that identifying it is a doddle. Thus the PAT is identified by process of elimination for 1 and since the armament for the other two is either known or stated, 2 is solved the same way.

Bonus: The IKV91 looks like a bit of fun for going up against Strykers with.

Originally posted by mazex:

Below are three images of Swedish armoured vehicles that probably are unfamilar to most of you

Yet too easy for us Finns, since we have all of them in use - Pasi (Panssari-Sisu) of course, CV90 and Leopard 2.

What about these?

1) Recognise either the turret or the chassis:

itpsv90_2.jpg

ItPsv_90.jpg

2) What is the penetration value:

0000000026.jpg

3) What is in common between this and the Finnish grand strategy for world domination:

raitismatti.jpg

1) I naturally know this, but let's see are there any foreigners too...

2) about 150mm of hardened steel (angle 30 degrees) without an ERA or other semimodern improvements. Or much less if we are not talking about elite Finnish pinecone jaegers...

3) Hm, Matti is going to consume all of the world beer... Maybe Aussies are so frightened that they would give up and accept our demands (what ever those would be).

Originally posted by flamingknives:

You don't mix up the CV90 which is modern with the old IKV91 that is from the 70:ies and a completely different vehicle, even though it looks kind of similar? The IKV91:s are currently beeing phased out now (don't know if any are left in service)...

The CV 90 system would otherwise be interesting to put up against the Bradley family as they are also available in a lot of different "tastes" - 120mm mortars, 120mm anti tank, AAA, Command vehicle etc.. The STRV 122 would naturally be interesting to pit against the M1A2 also... If it wouldn't be for the crews (as I'm quite sure that the US (or UK) vehicle crews are the best in the world at the moment) I think they would have a hard time!

/Mazex

The IKV91:s are currently beeing phased out now (don't know if any are left in service)...

Nope. All gone. It was a lightly armoured tracked vehicle with a 90 mm low pressure gun. Amphibious as well. Used in an antitank company at brigade level. The old infantry brigades (IB 77) were "soft", the IKV 91 was the only armoured vehicle.

Originally posted by SSgt Viljuri:

You're right, mazex. But I think Sergei's first question seems to be a tougher one.

A hint: the turret in question is partly manufactured by a British company.

Yup - it's a T55/Marksman which is an ugly beast... The question that I don't get is how a former ski jumper gone alcoholic/criminal is going to help you take over the world? I guess it must be the son of the Finnish Thunder God that has taken over his body?

Ahh... the AMOS. These guys made a video of it here .

If you watch the darn thing, go to 1:00 - 1:30 and check out what 14 rounds of 120mm HE in MRSI (multiple-round-simultaneous-impact) looks like (the nasty orange blobs are because whoever ran the thing didn't know they were supposed to be deactivated).

Okay, so it's not for CM:SF, but maybe the next (modern) game from BFC. MRSI isn't as difficult as you might think.

[ October 30, 2005, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: Dinger ]

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by flamingknives:

You don't mix up the CV90 which is modern with the old IKV91 that is from the 70:ies and a completely different vehicle, even though it looks kind of similar? The IKV91:s are currently beeing phased out now (don't know if any are left in service)...

The CV 90 system would otherwise be interesting to put up against the Bradley family as they are also available in a lot of different "tastes" - 120mm mortars, 120mm anti tank, AAA, Command vehicle etc.. The STRV 122 would naturally be interesting to pit against the M1A2 also... If it wouldn't be for the crews (as I'm quite sure that the US (or UK) vehicle crews are the best in the world at the moment) I think they would have a hard time!

/Mazex </font>

Originally posted by Kurtz:

Mortars for illumination grenades. It's mounted on the rear of the turret. The vehicle has no other night sight, IIRC.

thanks!

bummer - here I was thinking that this sharp mini - T-55 had some nifty revolutionary gadget, when it turns out it is just a tribute to its shortcomings.