Question on ELOS?

Hope some of the testers respond. I've read the BLOG and I think I understand what it is and I understand it is a big step forward in the CM series. What I would like to ask is, what will I notice different "in game"? For example say I am playing the first "Crossroads" scenario, what will I notice with ELOS that will make me say "AHHH yes I see". I'm just struggling to immagine what it will do for the game. Thanks.

This is a difficult question. The fastest answer, perhaps, is that things start to work as one would expect in terms of real-world LOS. This means, that the immersion factor grows when soldiers go out of sight when they drop behind a low wall. Or, when you can reaquire LOS to those soldiers by climbing on a roof.

In rough terrain, soldiers now can pop up to take a shot at an enemy and then drop out of sight again.

There are other improvements (fixes) to the LOS system that should really please the once "fundamentally flawed" crowd (hopefully).

Basically, you stop to wonder about how LOS works and can concentrate more on actually playing (a field that also got improved considerably, IMHO)!

Of course, your mileage may vary; all above personal opinion!

Best regards,

Thomm

Yeah I had a brief stress about this after reading the blog. I thought to myself, "What am I going to be getting for this big performance hit?" Of course, I thought the answer was nothing except that LoS will work better. It's not like Dynamic Night Lighting where I get a new and really cool enhancement to the experience. Then, after I was reassured that it shouldn't be a huge performance hit AND I can upgrade my processor if I really have to, I started to appreciate just what that means. LoS will work much more like we expect it to.

Finally, a lot of the subtleties I've put into my maps will pay off. I hate putting down large flat open areas and I take the time to introduce small undulations here and there to provide some small cover to attacking forces. Now, perhaps, they'll work as I'd hoped they would. I will probaly be using the 'Slow' movement command more frequently and units will acquire the ability to actually hide behind walls. That's a HUGE enhancement and I can't wait!