Suggestions for Objective Improvements

I thought I'd add to BFC's long list of stuff to change by posting what I'd like to see (especially from a scenario designer's point of view) added to objectives. Some of these have been posted elsewhere, but I think it would be handy to have them all in one place.

</font>

• Enemy Destroys-Gives you points if the enemy blows up a building they're not supposed to</font>
  • Occupy With %-Means you must occupy the objective with at least a certain percentage of your force, e.g. for an "exit objective" you would put this at 100%. Similarly, you could have an objective that requires that you occupy it with a certain number of troops in order to represent that it's adequately defended against counterattacks.</font>
  • (Inspired by one of Pandur's recent threads) Enemy Touches-gives you points if the enemy goes somewhere they're not supposed to</font>
  • Touch/Occupy With-you only get points if you touch or occupy the terrain with a specific unit (chosen like a unit objective). This could be used to represent evacuation of key personnel, etc.</font>

What other things would you guys like to see added to objectives?

-FMB

Originally posted by Field Marshal Blücher:

I thought I'd add to BFC's long list of stuff to change by posting what I'd like to see (especially from a scenario designer's point of view) added to objectives. Some of these have been posted elsewhere, but I think it would be handy to have them all in one place.

</font>

• Enemy Destroys-Gives you points if the enemy blows up a building they're not supposed to</font>
  • Occupy With %-Means you must occupy the objective with at least a certain percentage of your force, e.g. for an "exit objective" you would put this at 100%. Similarly, you could have an objective that requires that you occupy it with a certain number of troops in order to represent that it's adequately defended against counterattacks.</font>
  • (Inspired by one of Pandur's recent threads) Enemy Touches-gives you points if the enemy goes somewhere they're not supposed to</font>
  • Touch/Occupy With-you only get points if you touch or occupy the terrain with a specific unit (chosen like a unit objective). This could be used to represent evacuation of key personnel, etc.</font>

What other things would you guys like to see added to objectives?

-FMB

Enemy Destroys - yes

Occupy with % - not sure - I disagree with your default setting of 100% for exit objectives but if it was set at a minimum workable combat effectiveness which generally is anything between 40 and 60% depending on the troop quality then yes I agree. I am less convinced of the occupy with a percentage because that depends on the effect that needs to be achieved as set out by the commander. The mechanism for doing this realistically right now is to stick something in the Mission Briefing along the lines of 'TF 1/23 Inf is to secure Objective Gold in order to block enemy counterattacks from the west' Then stating in the 'tasks' part of the op order immediately following the mission - must not fall below 70% CE (or whatever the desired figure is). Then as part of the victory conditions you set your percentage - in this case 70% - so if you fall below that you lose.

Enemy Touches - yes - this is particularly relevant for scenarios where the mission statement says something like 'TF 1/23 Inf is to deny enemy penetration of Phase Line Apple in order to ...(whatever the unifying purpose is)'

Touch Occupy with specified unit - yes - and explained a little bit later on in this post.

Overall I'd like to have the ability to have more unit based objectives than currently and I would like to see objectives appear in sequence for scenarios where you have more than one phase in the operation. As an example - we might have a mission statement along the lines of 'TF 1/23 is to defeat the enemy on Objective Silver in order to facilitate subsequent breakthrough operations'.

In the commander's intent paragraph we might have something like ... 'this will be a 3 Phase operation - in phase 1 enemy recce will be defeated in order to blind him prior to phases 2 and 3 (obviously we would set enemy recce elements as unit objectives in the editor first). In phase 2 A Co is to advance and establish a support by fire position in the vicinity of Phase Line Alpha in order to fix the enemy main defensive area on Objective Silver(we would then have Phase Line Alpha set as a touch/occupy objective and linked to A Co as suggested by Field Marshal Blucher). With the enemy main defensive area fixed Phase 3 will be launched which is the B and C Co assault and defeat of the enemy on Objective Silver (in this case Objective Silver is designated as a touch/occupy objective and the enemy units there are designated as unit objectives for blue).

Currently because all of the objectives are there from the start there is nothing stopping the player from totally ignoring the order and conceptially he could occupy Objective Silver first without defeating recce and reaching Phase Line Alpha. What I'm not saying is that these objectives are hidden from the player - he can know where they are but in this context he can only win if he achieves the objectives set in the sequence specified in the commander's intent paragraph of the operation order. So what would happen is that Phase Line Alpha only pops up once enemy recce has been defeated and then Objective Silver only pops up once enemy recce has been defeated and A Co reaches Phase Line Alpha.

The Occupy with % percentage would of course be up to the scenario designer. I think that on reflection there should be two options: "Occupy with Original %" as in, occupy it with a certain percentage of your full OOB, and "Occupy with %" which would just mean the percentage of your troops left at the end. For a Special Forces or raid type mission, you would want to use "Occupy with 100%," because the idea is to get every single guy out of the area. For a more conventional setting, I would agree that "Occupy with Original 70%" would make more sense.

Interesting point! Thanks.

-FMB

Originally posted by Dragon67:

A good option to add: Death Match (ie kill all your enemys units on the map).

This would be the simplist setting and maybe most used, yet it is the option that does not exist.

It's there - but it is up to the scenario designer how and if they use it.

In the editor you allocate the enemy units as an objective then allocate points for 'destroy all' - you only get the points if you kill everything, or you can allocate points for how much of the target unit you destroy .

To do this you do this in the editor you open the 'Mission' section then go to Blue or Red Unit Objectives, it tells you how to do it there. First you give the unit you want to select a number which you allocate under the side specific Units bit (where you buy stuff).