Tank movement bug

Gents,

I had an M1 moving at SLOW. It bumped along a trench and suddenly moved at great speed, far quicker than FAST. It was a very exaggerated slingshot effect. (All v1.08)

SPOILER! TF Thunder, 3rd mission.

Screenshot:

CMSFtankweirdness.jpg

Savegames saved to mediafire. Two of them. The tank in question is 4th MBT, US. Note the SLOW commands. At 20 seconds left the bizarre movement occurs.

The first is the Command Phase: Tank movement bug command phase file

The second is the Replay Phase: Tank movement bug replay phase file

Note: I totally absolve myself of blame for the results to the tank! (For those of you that watched.)

Regards,

Ken

i had that once with a RED sqad. i ordered it into a BMP wich was standing next to the house the squad was in. instead of running out the door to the vehicle they, more or less, got sucked in by the BMP, like with a vacoum cleaner.

they got sucked right through the wall, into the BMP, took about 1 second.

I've seen very strange tank movement behaviour several times. I don't think it's exactly the same as what you're seeing - a tank will start the turn on a 'hunt' command but will sink front down into the ground up to its turret, spin round and wobble from side to side very rapidly, and then gradually right itself and continue with its movement.

It looks very alarming, and reminds me of a post Steve made a few years back when he was commenting on the bugs he'd seen when Charles was first programming the tank movement.

This happened in a PBEM - I have saves from the most recent example if anyone wants to see them.

Judging by the way it decelerates after jumping to high speed, it looks like the only quirk is that the speed of the tank got set very high at some point in the trench, although as to why that could happen depends entirely on how the game is coded and objects are represented. (Who knows - could be the slope of the trench and the tank suddenly thinking it is on a steep slope. Could be all the random suspension jiggling as the tank bounces around suddenly aligning and being interpreted as a linear velocity... it's not something you can even intelligently speculate on without knowing the internal workings of the game).

But once the speed got set to mach 9, the behaviour after that looks 'normal'. The tank slows to a stop eventually, and presumably would have either stayed where it was or gone back to the intended waypoint (depending on whether that waypoint was deleted as the tank passed it). I've managed to do similar things with a stryker moving at 'fast' down a genuine steep slope - it overshot its waypoint at the bottom of the slope, coasted up the other side of the valley and eventually came to stop abot 100 meters away from its intended position. Right in front of a T-55 I should add...