Why do squads split?

I have been playtesting an infantry action this morning and I have been seeing my squads split with great frequency. Why does this happen and what can I do to minimise the chances of a squad doing this?

It's a scenario of my own design and I play RT Elite. The squads in question are Syrian Special Forces squads and they're among the best that they've got. They are all in eye contact (the BIG eye) at the scenario start and they are being given short 'move' orders but sometimes, they still split. One half of a squad just sits on the baseline while the other half carries out the order.

It doesn't seem to matter what kind of terrain they're in. It happens in trees and in the open. It happens after they've successfully completed one movement order and I give them a fresh one.

I'm assuming that there is something built into the game that makes them do this so if I understood why this will sometimes happen (ie it's not bug related) then I can do everything I can to control my squads.

Once they do split, they are effectively gone for the duration of the scenario without a LOT of management.

Everytime I played this scenario this morning, at least TWO squads did this every time. Not sure if it was the SAME two squads, I wasn't watching that closely.

Paper Tiger,

You order a squad to go from A to B. One/Two teams go the other stays. The icon for the squad floats in the middle of the teams. They don't actually split. To get them to work together again you have to manually split them and then join them again

If that's what's happening this is the stuck/split bug.

Already documented and BF is aware of it.

--

Dirtweasle,

That sounds like an older problem with team weapons sometimes being positioned in crazy places, then the Soldiers would go to them. I haven't seen anything like that in long while. Certainly there is nothing current AFAIK.

As for the popping in and out of sight... I don't recall that one. Again, nothing like that has been noted recently so I don't think it is an issue any longer.

Steve

One 'non-bug' reason i've seen is when you've got a walking wounded guy (yellow base) in tow. The bulk of your squad sprints forward, the wounded guy brings up the rear, they sprint farther forward, the poor guy gets left farther and farther behind. Complications arise when the AI start to recalculate the 'center' of your unit to position the floating icon.