Multiple IP addresses for TCP/IP games

Hi

I've done a search on past questions asked but have'nt come up with a suitable response - so far. Could someone advise.

I I am attempting to host a TCP/IP game in CMAK.

When attempting to find my IP address (through www.whatismyip.com) I keep getting varied and differant IP addresses. Is there any way I can figure out what my IP address is so I can pass this on to my TCP/IP buddy so he can connect to me.

I am running on a 'dial up' internet access (provider is Wanadoo). I am using Windows XP (Firewall is disabled) with Norton Internet Security which I have clicked to allow CMAK to access the internet.

Any suggestions please? Many thanks!

Cheers fur noo

George

Are you saying that each time you access the whatsmyip.com website during the same dialup session you're getting different IP addresses ? If so, then you probably won't be able to host a CM game. I can only guess that your ISP has you going through multiple proxy servers in some sort of round-robin fashion.

However if you're getting different IP addresses only during different dialup sessions, then that would be normal. You would have to go to whatsmyip.com each time you want to host to provide the IP address you have that day (or more accurately, that session). As soon as you end your dialup session, the next time you dial in again, you would have a different IP address.

You may want to contact your ISP's tech support and ask them about hosting games (individual, two player games, not a multi-game server) and if that is possible. You just need a unique TCP/IP address for the dialup session that has access to TCP Port 7023. Hopefully this should be possible, but some ISPs may cause problems with direct computer-to-computer connections.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

Note that whatisyourip may report the wrong IP address if you have a HTTP proxy.

See here to get your real IP address:

http://redwolf.dyndns.org/whatismyrealip/whatisyourip.cgi

It also has a portscanner which can tell you whether you have successfully opened/forwarded incoming port 7023.

Hi Redwolf

Thanks for that link. It also looks like my port 7023 is blocked. i thought I had cleared that in my Norton Internet secuirty firewall. I'll have to go and check into that. Thanks again for your help.

Cheers fur noo

George