Winter Greatcoats

Philippe

One visual element that I really miss are winter greatcoats. I would hope that CMx2 could be programmed with a few extra frames for infantry to allow these, either as an option or as standard cold weather wear.

This is not just a question of modding the textures, of course, because greatcoats extend from the waist to below the knees. Last time I looked CMx1 greatcoats were truncated at the waist, which isn't a very effective cold-stopper.

Originally posted by Philippe:

One visual element that I really miss are winter greatcoats. I would hope that CMx2 could be programmed with a few extra frames for infantry to allow these, either as an option or as standard cold weather wear.

This is not just a question of modding the textures, of course, because greatcoats extend from the waist to below the knees. Last time I looked CMx1 greatcoats were truncated at the waist, which isn't a very effective cold-stopper.

Like this one ?

gcs00012kf.th.jpg

I really hope CMX2 looks like HD2 graphically smile.gif

Pat

Long greatcoats got so clogged with mud in the Great War, they simply cut off the ends; a knee length coat is about right. You got charged for destruction of govenrment property, though. In the British Army, officers were allowed to wear the British Warm instead of the greatcoat - it came down to the knees, not the ankles.

Most armies did away with the greatcoat where possible, though they officially all retained it, frontline infantrmen found them bulky and cumbersome. The Germans came up with the two piece snowsuit, the Russians had a similar padded snowsuit design, the Commonwealth troops wore a leather jerkin, and the Americans had the excellent 1943 field jacket - though the greatcoat never entirely disappeared in any army, it wasn't the be all, end all in WW II winter wear.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

M.D.

What are you guys using now? When I left we were just starting to field the lightweight Gortex for use during movement with optional liners for static or severe cold.

Our trucks have excellent heaters.

:D

Goretex jackets with removable liners; a summerweight one and a heavyweight parka for winter ops. But only because the heaters in the trucks usually don't work. :(

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

Have you ever noticed that the odds of a heater going out is directly proportional to the temperature?

I have never been colder than being in the middle of a Bavarian winter inside an M113 with no heater. Had to take off the access pannels and hug the engine.

Wainwright in the middle of winter is probably the same. Not far enough north to justify running the vehicles round the clock though I've heard of arctic exercises where the trucks simply don't get turned off. Ever.

Some things just can't be simulated in a computer game, eh...?