Question on artillery/air spotting.

The manual is a little bit outdated.

I wish the duration of arty mission was in rounds, but in reality it isn't. It's in minutes (seconds) and it's different for each type of asset. And since the UI is no help here, some table showing duration for each type of gun/mortar would be very handy.

There is no precision type of mission, but it would be very useful for air support.

[ April 15, 2008, 08:25 AM: Message edited by: Martin Krejcirik ]

Yea, it's hard to husband your resources.

For instance; What does Slow ROF (rate of fire) mean? 4, 8, or 16 rounds per minute? How about sustained?

How many rounds are available for a 120mm mortar? 81mm, etc...?

That's what I mean about a table.

I understand you get that little colored bar, but what is behind that?

Huh? I think you misunderstand. Let's go back one post.

What does Slow ROF (rate of fire) mean? 4, 8, or 16 rounds per minute? How about sustained?

How many rounds are available for a 120mm mortar? 81mm, etc...?

Are you really saying how many rounds ea section / battery has and what the ROF values actually mean are secrets probably only Charles knows?

sorry if I misunderstood you when you said behind the bar. So are these the numbers?

U.S. Artillery Assets

M777 Howitzer

The towed 155mm howitzer provides artillery support for the Stryker BCTs. It has a

digital fire control system which allows it to respond quickly and accurately to support

calls from frontline infantry. Maximum rate of fire is 4 rounds per minute, 1 rounds

per minute sustained.

M109A6 Paladin

Self-propelled 155 mm howitzer in use with the US Army’s Heavy BCT artillery battalions.

The advanced fire control and communications equipment allows the Paladin to

halt from the move and fire within 30 seconds. This improves the survivability by

allowing the battery to operate dispersed by pairs across the countryside and to

relocate between salvos. Maxium rate of fire is 4 rounds per minute, 2 rounds per

minute sustained.

M224 Light Mortar

Used by Stryker BCTs for quick, light suppressive fire. Although smaller than the other

US mortars, the M224 has the advantage of a faster and more sustainable rate of fire

than the larger and heavier M252 and M120. Maxium rate of fire is 30 rounds per

minute, 20 rounds per minute sustained.

M252 Medium Mortar

Standard 81mm medium mortar used for long-range indirect fire support for Stryker

BCT infantry formations. It is found at both the company and battalion levels of

command, thereby providing quick response to support calls. Maxium rate of fire is

20 rounds per minute, 15 rounds per minute sustained.

M120 Heavy Mortar

The 120mm M120 provides Stryker and Heavy BCTs with heavy indirect fire. Generally

used at the company level, the M120 allows infantry commanders to have powerful

support within easy reach. Maxium rate of fire is 16 rounds per minute, 4 rounds per

minute sustained.

Yep, that's a good start. I suppose that's in the manual?

If all that and the other bits I mentioned was in a table or like a spreadsheet kind of format that would be very nice.

There also used to be a master chart with all that for the previous WWII game and all the various and sundry arty types. I think someone with more time than I have made it and then it was hosted at one of the fan sites. if something like that exists for CMSF I'd love a copy.

Originally posted by Dirtweasle:

Yep, that's a good start. I suppose that's in the manual?

If all that and the other bits I mentioned was in a table or like a spreadsheet kind of format that would be very nice.

There also used to be a master chart with all that for the previous WWII game and all the various and sundry arty types. I think someone with more time than I have made it and then it was hosted at one of the fan sites. if something like that exists for CMSF I'd love a copy.

Ya, there were arty charts for the CMx1 games. They were, however, player-generated and not part of the manual.

Evenutally, I suppose someone will get around to cooking one up for CMSF. I have some notes on scrap paper of what I've noticed so far. If someone else doesn't beat me to it, someday I'll probably get around to putting it all together into table form. May take me a while, tho. Not a heck of a lot of time for extra projects here. . . :(

Cheers,

YD

There is a fine line between giving players too much information and giving them too little within the game itself. The reason for that fine line is because everybody (except for a couple of people on either extreme) understands that there is a line, but there is very little consensus about where it is. Kinda like people agreeing that it's wet when it rains, but not how wet any particular rain shower is. However, only the nutters can't recognize a monsoon or a draught when they experience one! :D

Charles and I had a lot of discussions between us about how much information to provide for the Support feature. This then got bashed about by the testers too. The system we came up with is, I think, pretty much right on the money. Could we put something more in the game itself and not overwhelm people? Probably. Will we in the future? Maybe.

Steve

Excellent! I'm glad to hear you guys are going to revamp the artillery GUI!

Thanks,

Ken

;)

HEY! That was a joke! Lighten up....

Seriously, I'm glad you're aware of the benefit some people would see if there were a different/increased awareness of the support functions.

Ken

Steve - this deliberate obscuring of facts is driving me nuts. The information about the duration IS there. If I wait after the spotting rounds fell the arty icon shows it ( <1m, 1m, 2m, etc). Couldn't you show it in advance, possibly on the duration button ?

The only thing you are currently achieving is forcing players to do hunderds of tests or relying on unreliable and outdated manual.