Stryker snippets

GSX

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

An example to counter Arras would be the engagement of 1st DCR by 66th Pz Battalion of the 25th Pz Rgt. Superior communications and mobility allowed 38t backed by Pak36s, to take out CharB and H39s in large numbers with relatively few losses. This was repeated in other places too.

Are you talking about Flavion here? In which case I do not agree with this description of the battle based on what I have read. ;)

All the best

Andreas

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Two more points.

first on losses as I have said before " it's not how hard you can hit, it's how much you can take", that can decide both a battle and a war.

Depending on who's figures you use Vietnam, the North Vietnamese lost 20 for every 1, US dead, but that 1 was ultimately unacceptable to the US.

However one huge tactical advantage of a fast networked force like stryker that no one seems to have picked up on ( and it may well be a scenario design issue), is that it can run away.

This might be seen as a defeat by some, but if it results in a short engagement that identifies and slows an opposing force to allow Stryker to disengage to either regroup or bypass while LR Artillery and Air Power, degredate the static opposing force to dust, then it's no defeat at all, in fact it's the smart way to win.

Secondly the effect of going at 30-50mph on a Stryker, is only effective at close range at 90degrees.

A speed of 40mph, about 20ms. at 200m, you need to track at about 5 deg a second, and at a MV of 1,500m a second lead by about 1m, which on a 6m vehicle means aim for dead centre.

At longer ranges the the tarck drops but the lead increases, as the time from fire to impact increases.

However if the target is comming straight towards you then you needn't track or lead, because regardless of his speed, relative to you his direction isn't changing.

This becomes really important when you are in a fight with fire from more than one direction because while being at right angles to one opponentand hard to hit as you move, you could be effectively showing a stationary Ass to another.

Which brings me back to the dispersed quality infantry force with good AT weapons.

Peter.