Autoloaders not reloading for Area Fire

Is it just me or do autoloaders not reload the main gun when ordered an Area Fire? I've searched around, but it doesn't look like anyone has pointed this out as of yet...

I've seen this behavior with both Blue (i.e. MGS) and Red (just about every tank) autoloaders - when ordered an area fire they immediately fire off the main gun and open up on the coax - when checked in Equipment Status the main gun gets "grayed out", i.e. not loaded.

The main gun stays unloaded for as long as the area fire command is still active, with only the coax still able to fire on the area target.

As soon as the area target is canceled, the main gun is immediately reloaded - with the Equipment Status panel switching the main gun back to "white" - and can be fired off again with a new area fire command.

My guess is since the gun must returned to a neutral elevation position in order to be reloaded, it is being prevented from doing that by the TacAI which gives priority to keeping the gun elevation fixed on target in order to be able to continue firing the coax.

Quite odd :D

The autoreloader should be reloading, but not firing again. Reasons are two fold:

1. Very limited ammo

2. Very destructive

Since Area Fire, by definition, doesn't have an "end state" to judge whether it should stop firing or not (i.e. there is no vehicle to note as dead, no Squad to note as eliminated) and the reload rate is quite high, if we didn't limit an Area Fire to "one shot" you'd likely burn through all your ammo before you knew what happened. There would be a very large crater where you aimed, but that would likely be it.

In general a single hit from a MGS or Soviet 125mm should be enough to toast whatever is there. The Coax MG will keep on trucking, though.

The grayed out state is a reminder to you that the vehicle has fired it's one shot and that's it.

Steve

Makes *perfect* sense, I'd even be happy to call it a "random feature" ;)

... however, I just checked the Area Fire command with an Abrams - under exact same conditions as I tested the autoloaders - and it quite happily fires round after round of molten TNT into the ground ... depleting it's 16 HEAT rounds in just under 3 min.

Also worth noting that an autoloading T72 carries more ammo than a manual loaded Abrams. As for the high rate of fire, isn’t is always claimed –by the supporters of the manual load, naturally – that a well trained crew is quicker than any autoloader?

Smells like a cover up to me :D

[ August 03, 2007, 09:47 PM: Message edited by: The Louch ]

Now, the real question is whether you’re going to make the Abrams area-fire single shots or let the autoloaders go “full auto”?

Personally I’d vote for full-auto autoloaders, but perhaps that’s just a Sturmtiger-demon lurking in me demanding every single building to be leveled flat. tongue.gif

Originally posted by Jon L:

I've only tried this with the MGS, but if you leave the area fire target active for a number of minutes the main gun eventually starts firing at high ROF. It sounds like that might not be intended?

I've seen that too, I counted 9 shots in a 60 second turn including a reload of the autoloader. A bit too fast.