Javelin hits top of Abrams, no damage!

Guest Guest

Oh, you don't even know how much I'd love to have deformable models :D Unfortunately, I haven't a clue when we'll ever get around to that. The physics modeling necessary to make it look realistic and not repetitious is significant. Not only do the bits have to blow off and land in reasonable ways, but the code has to be able to logically break those things off the vehicle model itself. And in order to do that, the modeler needs to make a much more complex model to make this possible.

I really do wish we could have a $5,000,000 budget, to do all kinds of neat stuff like this, even though the chances of making that money back are just about zero. But there's this part of me that says, "hey, that would be great once, but then what? The new bankruptcy laws in the US look to be less fun than the old ones". Oddly enough I think even if someone plopped a few extra million in my lap we would probably do something different with it :D

Steve

Originally posted by Clavicula_Nox:

With that being said, what was the budget for CMSF? The game doesn't present itself as low-budget, and it makes me curious.

You mustn't read the same board I do. "We would do that if we had the resources" is going to be inscribed on Steve's headstone.

Originally posted by Other Means:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Clavicula_Nox:

With that being said, what was the budget for CMSF? The game doesn't present itself as low-budget, and it makes me curious.

You mustn't read the same board I do. "We would do that if we had the resources" is going to be inscribed on Steve's headstone. </font>

Originally posted by Clavicula_Nox:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Other Means:

You mustn't read the same board I do. "We would do that if we had the resources" is going to be inscribed on Steve's headstone. </font>

GunzAbeam,

Understood Steve. Sure would look good though ...BUT, that's just eye candy and we all know where that can take us
hehe... :D Seriously though, having RTS/FPS like "boom-boom" stuff is VERY easy for Charles to do compared to realistic looking explosions. So here we get into one of those things... we can make an "eye candy" feature that would look pretty good the first couple of times you saw it, but then you'd realize that the effects have no bearing on reality. That's what I think when I see things blow up in RTS/FPS games. Works fine for them, but I don't think it would be good for CM:SF.

Clavicula_Nox,

With that being said, what was the budget for CMSF?
I can't quote an exact figure, even if I had one, but let's just say that based on today's standards (AAA games) it wasn't much. By the standards of the time when I used to work for Sierra the budget would be considered quite large. By Battlefront standards... well, CM:SF cost more than all the previous CM games put together. That's partly because this time we built a game engine instead of just a game, so there was a considerable up front cost that we never expected CM:SF to completely cover. We like to think long term smile.gif

OtherMeans,

Very true - a testament to having a focused, competent team. And thanks God. Lets face it, Steve's right - no-one else is making games like this.
If someone else is as dumb as us, they obviously don't have resources to challenge us toe to toe tongue.gif That's not surprising, really, since most niche markets tend to have one clear leader. For a while it's been us on top, but of course that can change any day. However, someone would have to pony up quite a big chunk of change and time to get to where we are now, and by that time we will have moved forward even more.

Steve

[ May 28, 2008, 03:41 PM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

If someone else is as dumb as us, they obviously don't have resources to challenge us toe to toe tongue.gif That's not surprising, really, since most niche markets tend to have one clear leader. For a while it's been us on top, but of course that can change any day. However, someone would have to pony up quite a big chunk of change and time to get to where we are now, and by that time we will have moved forward even more.

Steve [/QB]

You just keep pluggin' away. We "fans" are right behind... prodding you with a sharp stick! ;)

Originally posted by Other Means: