Caution...need to think (scenarios)

We have all marveled the deadliness of the weapon systems within the game, when designing scenarios this must be taken into account.

I’m designing a scenario were some reinforcements enter the game on the flank of a battle in progress. In play testing the game, 60% of the reinforcements were rendered combat ineffective before I could even get them orders (playing elite level no pause).

In CMx1 the effectiveness of the weapons allowed a scenario to have reinforcements arrive or starting positions to occur within enemy sight without disastrous consequences. This is not a criticism of CMx2, just the reality of the technological superiority of the weapons used by modern day forces.

With that said, when designing a scenario don’t have forces set up or reinforce in the enemy line of sight....LEAVE ROOM FOR MANEUVER. Its not really that fun when you push the “BUTTON OF DOOM!” (the red start button) and within 5 seconds every weapon on the board is firing at a target.

If you do design a scenario where the forces are in sight of the enemy initially, make sure you play test to ensure that they have a chance of survival.

As a side note...CMSF is such a hot game (thanks to all involved in its creation)....

No really it is a hot game....have a 1 ½ inch blister on my leg from the heat from my laptop (running on high detail!)

I don't even see how having reinforcements arrive in WW2 in clear enemy LOS is fun.

I wouldnt exactly say that it wasn't an issue of weapon leathality.. Ever see the outcome of forces arriving in LOS of a couple of MG42s or a platoon of panthers?

Your point is excellent.. Don't have reinforcements just pop up out of the blue in clear enemy LOS when probably in reality you could see them coming (or have some indication) in advance.

now the bitter taste to it...

when you think about enemy reinforcements to come from a side as suprise(i think especially about Tecnicals i think on adding some to my scenario)its hard to guess "where" the player might be at wich time of the scenario, so sometimes they could pop up on direct LOS othertime they are still hiden becouse another player is slower or allready further away, whatever.

i feel the need for a verry simple, enemy crossed that line or reached that point(maybe also definabel wich typ of unit(s)/wich unit(s)) trigger next to the time activated, as time is relative for players, ground isnt.