Thinking of buying CM:SF

Jorne

The game's 90% of the way there. The fun factor is exponentially higher than the original v1.0 (review) release. Might as well jump in, download the game and have some fun blowin' stuff up! When the v1.06 patch is done download that to fix whatever bits were left over.

Unless you've got the worst internet connection in the world and are buying the hard disk. We *might* see v1.06 come along pretty quick. if you wait til New Years you *might* catch the v1.06 release before they turn their attentions to the Marine module.

But then again, v1.05 took a month or two longer than originally planned. That's a long wait. I'd say get the game.

IMHO the mammoth 1.05 patch represents a major step up, but frankly, compared to the earlier series I still find the 'it' factor largely AWOL. There's still a lot of missing stuff- too numerous to list- that made the charm and addictive quality of CM 1-3. Also the modern, assymetrical setting seems to be an acquired taste for some. It's an ambitious project with flashes of brilliance but I tend to fire up a scenario and lose interest. CMBO after a few patches (there were 12) was more fun and finished feeling- for me. YMMV.

But the developers seems dedicated to ongoing improvements. I'd wait until 1.07- 1.06 is apparently going to be a quick fix.

Originally posted by Jorne:

I almost bought CM:SF a while back but I was put off by the reviews & reports of bad bugs.

How does the latest patched version play now? Is it worth buying or should I wait for more patches?

First why ask when you make the decision to buy or not to buy, to help with your decision making, is to try the demo. It should be set for v105 if its not all ready. So play the demo don't ask all these critics :D

I think asking the critics and supporters is also key. Demos can sometimes hide flaws and bright spots.

I would never push anyone to make a decision on the CMSF demo alone. Even with 1.05, I don't think it shows a lot of the good points and tends to make some of the bad points stand out.

You may want to fish around other sites like wargamer and SimHQ and check whats going on there for discussion or look at the archives.

John0:

Calm & the Storm is like a more playable Hearts of Iron with better graphics. Also it's like the Axis & Allies board game.

It started life as a WWII educators tool but then grew to be a game. You basically run a country, dealing with trade, logistics,research, production, economy etc. So its a "big picture" game rather than up close and personal.

It's also about why wars start because of the global tensions. Heard its a challenge to beat as AI is strong.

[ December 17, 2007, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: Jorne ]

Or: don't eat the CMSF!

Just kidding. I'd definitely recommend it if you're interested in the time period, since there really aren't many decent treatments on this scale.

Patches will just make it better, but it would suck to have to wait to download / install it when 1.0x comes out and people are screaming with joy over the magic. Get it out of the way now.