How are you doing PBEM

z1812

Hi all,

I have been playing a pbem. We use gmail and there are problems loading and playing the files. For a few moves it was fine and then it would not work.

Do others find it best to zip files before sending or just to send the file.

I am wondering how others are arranging their PBEM. Are others having problems.

Regards

John

If you started w/ v1.01 and have now upgraded to v 1.02 you may well experience a loading freeze. Other than that I have experienced no problems w/PBEM play...except for the butt kicking I'm taking....

One thing I did do was create a new "Gmail" account from google just to handle the games. My provider was awful stingy with file size limits. The gmail thing seem to handle things OK

Most of the CMSF PBEM files get above 10MBs once the game really gets rolling. And many email providers have a cap of 10 or 15 MBs on emails.

I have been using a website called yousendit.com which allows files up to 100MB and seems pretty easy to use. I think they give you 1 GB of free emails.

Originally posted by BigMatt:

I've had many PBEM files become broken once they were emailed, i zip all files now. I know it doesn't compress the file much more but so far i haven't had a single zipped file become corrupted.......fingers crossed.

TTFN

this becouse some email providers (hotmail for example) don't interprate the files as "octet-stream" and handle them as Char-Stream, and we all know there are a about 100 different Char-Standarts (ASCII, UTF8, UTF16...) so your file wil be convertet from 8-byte per "Char" to 2 byte, doesn't semed to be a problem but there ist a problem that some Characters have different codes in different Standarts. if you confert your file back (download them an save them)...

so use filetypes who the mime type decleared to use OCtetStream and all works fine smile.gif