Please don't model US soldiers wearing Pinnacle's Dragon Skin Body Armor

Dave H

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Tiny_tanker,

Interesting! When the uniform was first announced (several years ago) they said it was to be base use only. Which begged the question "why bother?". Typical DoD idiocy. They make something for one thing and then, after they have adopted it but before they've issued it, they change the "mission statement". The uniform is not well suited for an arid environment, which isn't surprising since it wasn't designed for one.

Steve

This is true, it was deigned as a barracks utility uniform only. Because of that it wasn't going to have digital camo or have colors that blend into anything. As it stands now its a digital tiger stripe that should blend well with concrete (an Airmans natural habitat) and is made of the same material as the desert MARPAT pants. The entire ABU was cut from the same type of cloth to save money, so whereas the Marines have heavier pants and a lighter weight top, the Air Force doesn't.

I hope to get mine by next year, but it will be interesting to see how they evolve after the first combat use though.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it was the first test, but a subsequent one.

IIRC in the first test the SA80 was compared with the M16, Steyr AUG, and a few other rifles. The tests were to measure the MRBF (mean Rounds Before Failure) and the SA80 didn't do well at all. They re-did the tests, but changed the definition of what a 'failure' constituted. I think they also had REME armourers actually at the ranges during the tests, and they were checking each weapon every time it suffered a stoppage, which totally defeated the point of determing how well the weapon would work out in the field. End result was that the SA80 managed to pass, though even then it was a close thing. I've been hunting for the website that chronicled it all, made for very illuminating and somewhat depressing reading.