Unfriendly Face

Does anyone else find the Face command annoying? :confused:

You chart a series of waypoints, give a Face command at the destination, but have to track back to the unit's present position then visually calculate the desired facing relative to the start position, which, usually, will be quite different in terms of direction to the end facing position. :( Does that make sense? The fact that it's even confusing to describe illustrates how difficult it can be in-game. :confused:

Seems cack-handed to me. :rolleyes:

It'd be far preferable for the Face command to be calculated directly from the destination point. Maybe that can't be done for coding reasons. I don't know. But if it can, I'd like to make a strong request for it to be implemented. tongue.gif

Pleease. ;)

When using the Face command, don't click on which way you want the team to face. Instead, click on exactly the place you want the team to face.

As an example, say you want your team to run around the periphery of a mosque. Select the Face command and click on the mosque itself. Upon arrival, the team will face the mosque. Don't bother thinking about angles or anything else.

I'm not sure I get what you are talking about, but as I understand what you are requesting has always been in the game.

Click on the final waypoint and add your face order, it will emanate from that waypoint. It is not relative, the unit will face the way you want at the final waypoint.

I know exactly what he's talking about and I felt the same way until I figured out how the command worked.

Say you're paused in the game with a squad facing a building to the north. You want the squad to walk around the building clockwise in 3 waypoints and at the end, have the squad face the building again which will be to its east.

Now if you think "I'll need the squad to face east, so I'll click east of where the squad is now" then it doesn't work. You simply have to click on the building itself to tell the squad "wherever you are, face the building"

In effect the "Face" command isn't "Face a direction", it's "Face a landmark".

Thanks guys. Finally clocked it. I had no idea that, to set facing from a waypoint you have first to click on that waypoint to highlight it, THEN set facing.

All this time I've been setting waypoints, then Facing WITHOUT highlighting the new waypoint, so the Facing was always relative to the jump-off point.

Finally the light has dawned!

I have to say, unless I've missed something (again!), this is not well described in the manual.

Anyway, my gaming experience has been enhanced. Cheers!

[ May 16, 2008, 12:15 PM: Message edited by: handihoc ]