Help, can't get CMBB to run on my primary display

I have a dual monitor set up. CMBB was running on my 21" monitor but at 1024x768 resolution, so I trashed the pref's file to get it to prompt me for new resolutions. Now, when I launch the game, it only goes to my 19" secondary display, prompting me for a resolution that is defaulted at the resolution for the primary display - so I think it thinks it is on the primary display.

The game will "lose focus" and minimize, while I can mouse over to both monitors while the game is running, which I know shouldn't be able to judging by CMAK which I do have working as I want it in this manner.

Any idear's on how to get it to recognize the correct primary display? FYI, if I do manage to get a resolution set and continue into the game, it stays on the secondary monitor, even if I exit and then relaunch. I've trashed the pref's file about a dozen times and I can't "trick" it into using the larger monitor.

TIA

I'm not sure if this will work since there may have been changes to the Prefs file, but...

Copy the CMAK Prefs file to the CMBB directory. In there rename the file to Combat Mission BB Prefs. Launch CMBB and see if it uses those settings or freaks out.

Typically only one display will be able to "accelerate" DirectX and OpenGL programs. The other will be a 2D desktop only that will be unable to display any 3D game that requires hardware accleration. Typically the "primary" display will be the one set for 3D acceleration.

Which videocard and driver version do you have installed ?

LOL, we think alike. I tried that already - CMBB ignores it asks for me to set my display preferences again.

Thanks for the reply though - I'll keep trying to trick it. Oh, I did shut down to one display, generate the pref's file and then restart with dual monitors and it didn't work - goes back to asking me for my display preferences again on the secondary monitor. :(

Now this is a trip....

Just went to play a turn, figuring I'd just play it off the secondary monitor. The game launches and I'm spinning around. I figure out that the edge of the screen is all the way over on my primary monitor's edge. In otherwords, my mouse goes out of the game and I have to manipulate the camera to one side by going to the edge of the other monitor. So, it's thinking that it is using the larger monitor, yet is actually showing on the smaller one. Hrrmmm....

You may have found a weak point in the code when it comes to dual displays. It looks like the code for the mouse control is basing its coordinate system on the extended desktop resolution of the two displays (rather than CM's actual resolution on a single display). What kind of outputs do you have on your videocard, two DVIs or one DVI and one analog 15 pin ? Which output is the 'secondary' display hooked to ? What are the desktop resolutions on your 21" and 19" monitors ?

If CMBB is launching on your 'secondary' display, can you still access the Start Menu on the 'primary' display ? Does the Display control panel's Settings tab correctly identify the two monitors ?

Does CMAK still play on the primary display as you expect, right now ? If you want to torment yourself silly, you can backup the CMAK Prefs file and try this process out with CMAK and see if it does the same thing. Have you recently upgraded drivers ? When you set CMAK's resolution, was it with a previous/different driver version ?

Do you use a NVidia card?

I run into these problems frequency and can usually solve them by switching from the normal dual-display code in Windoze to NVidias "twinview". Twinview gives you more control over how the monitors are connected to each other and what is launched where.

Having said that, if you puch it hard enough I have never been able to make dual-screen under Windoze flawless. Some applications always insists on launching on the wrong display and there's no way to force it like you can in Linux/FreeBSD. I also see the picture shifting on the secondary display when the primary one goes into 3D mode. Anybody else seeing this?

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

You may have found a weak point in the code when it comes to dual displays. It looks like the code for the mouse control is basing its coordinate system on the extended desktop resolution of the two displays (rather than CM's actual resolution on a single display). What kind of outputs do you have on your videocard, two DVIs or one DVI and one analog 15 pin ?

I have the latter, one DVI and one analog.

Which output is the 'secondary' display hooked to ?

The secondary is on the analog, the primary is on the DVI.

What are the desktop resolutions on your 21" and 19" monitors ?

The 21" (primary) is at 1600x1200. The 19" (secondary) is at 1152x864

If CMBB is launching on your 'secondary' display, can you still access the Start Menu on the 'primary' display ? Yes, I can mouse "out" of the game over to the primary display. If I do it from the launch game screen and go too wide, the game will "lose focus" and minimize. If I do it while in the game, I can go all the way over to the end of the primary display (non-game displaying display) and as I mentioned, I have to in order to rotate the camera.

Does the Display control panel's Settings tab correctly identify the two monitors ? Yes.

Does CMAK still play on the primary display as you expect, right now ? Let me double check....Ugh, NOPE! Now it's doing the same thing - so, it must be in the way that I have the desktops set up. I'll address that with the message below.

If you want to torment yourself silly, you can backup the CMAK Prefs file and try this process out with CMAK and see if it does the same thing. Have you recently upgraded drivers ?Nope, not since I got the 21" monitor and did the dual setup about a month ago. I HAD it working for both games at one point - so it's possible I suppose.

When you set CMAK's resolution, was it with a previous/different driver version ?

Nope, same driver version.

Thanks, I'll get this licked! I can switch from dual to single display just to play a turn and then switch back, but that will get old quick.

Originally posted by Redwolf:

Do you use a NVidia card?

I run into these problems frequency and can usually solve them by switching from the normal dual-display code in Windoze to NVidias "twinview". Twinview gives you more control over how the monitors are connected to each other and what is launched where.

Having said that, if you puch it hard enough I have never been able to make dual-screen under Windoze flawless. Some applications always insists on launching on the wrong display and there's no way to force it like you can in Linux/FreeBSD. I also see the picture shifting on the secondary display when the primary one goes into 3D mode. Anybody else seeing this?

Yes, 6600GT, latest NVidia drivers. I have it set using the "dualview" setup from the NVidia driver settings. I think we're talking about the same thing.

Windows is also set as "(multiple monitors) on NVIDIA Dualview".

Only in the windows settings can I arrange the placement of the monitors - and this may be the catch - I have the primary on the right, secondary on the left. It always defaults back to the opposite of that if I switch from multiple monitors to single and then back. I can't physically relocate the monitors because of my arrangements, so that isn't an option.

Perhaps CM is seeing the primary display as being on the left and sending the signal there, yet I have windows set with the primary on the right, though it defaults to the left. Hope that makes sense, I'm a bit short on time at the moment, I'll experiment tonight when I get home and see if I can crack this nut.

Thanks for the help guys.

As far as I can tell Windoze does not allow you to have your primary monitor where you want all your game started (that are not aware of dual monitors) on the right side.

Granted, you can mark the right one as primary but there are plenty applications ignoring it.

It seems Windoze is dead set that the world begins at the left edge of the sum of whatever visible surfaces you have.

FWIW, without making any changes and only rebooting, CMBB now will play at 1600x1200 on my primary display. I don't know why it would suddenly "see straight" unless the reboot was needed for the changes that I did do the other night to take effect (though I have it set to apply changes without rebooting). I haven't checked CMAK yet.....wait....nope, it still goes to my secondary display. I'll play with it tomorrow.....