What a difference about 2 years makes

sandy

Originally posted by Sardaukar:

And I find it really strange how BFC-officials deride people that have, IMHO, good reasons to complain. That is not they way to keep your customers.

Some care is needed here. I don't think BFC (i.e Steve, to all intents and purposes here) is deriding people with 'issues' that that relate to disfunctionality of the game as is, as opposed to wishing the game did something else. Such points have generally been responded to, at least on their first appearance and will (hopefully) be remedied sooner rather than later. The derision is reserved for the latter group, those who "don't get it" in other words. How smart that is when by the time the game is fixed such people may well be all those who are left, the RTS crowd having long since moved on to other things, is debatable.

What I worry is being missed by BFC is the fact that the vast majority of current unhappiness is in fact exhibited by the former group, those who DO "get it".. even if, in general, they are getting on playing the game and are rather less vocal. The principal barrier to the success of CMSF is NOT what a few CM die-hards (no offence, guys) may think, but the fact that CMSF as it was intended to be is, if not 'broken', still in dire need of repair. IMHO derision might be rather less inappropriate (it's never appropriate) once that has happened.. otherwise it's likely to come back to haunt.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hertston has it completely correct. I have zero problem and infinite patenience with people posting about problems with the game (bugs) and what they see are deficiencies in the game design. However, I have zero patience for people that think that their concept of what the game should be overrides everybody else's. Cranking up the volume or the abusive tone doesn't make that opinion any more valid, just more annoying for everybody else.

Steve

Sandy,

Sorry Steve - it is NOT "My Personal Opinion", it is many, many people's opinion. Please read, and take note of, other posts supporting my views.
It is a collection of individual opinions and they run contrary to other individual opinions. You would be wise to understand that just because someone shares your opinion it doesn't make it right. A lot of people in Europe during the 1930s and 1940s had the opinion that Jews were subhuman, but I for one don't think they were right to think that despite their numbers.

That might sound like a harsh comparison, but I want to get the point through to you since you aren't grasping it yet. There are a variety of opinions here and I can not possibly find them all to be equally valid or equally relevant. It is arrogance, nothing less, for you to presume that your line of reasoning (shared by others or not) is the only one we should consider. Here is an example:

Sure whaco is happy - but he was't a CM1 fan in the first place (he says so in his post)
Right... so his opinion doesn't matter or is somehow less valuable? Personally, I think someone taking a fresh look, without the baggage of CMx1, is extremely valuable to us since in no small way CMx2 was designed to appeal to people who did not like CMx1. If that were our only goal, then Whaco's opinion would actually be MORE valuable to us than yours. Fortunately for you, the opinions of CMx1 fans do matter to us.

But those of us who loved CM1 AND who bought the game wishing to play it at purchase time and not sometime in the future when it's fixed, are very disappointed and not happy.
And others are happy. I've said it hundreds of times... we can't make everybody happy and we fully expected to lose CMx1 fans over some the decisions we've made as to the direction of CMx2. Therefore, 100% retention of CMx1 fans was never in the cards. Perhaps we can eventually make you happy, perhaps we can't. Time will tell and cranking up the volume and increasing the amount of abuse directed at us won't get you what you want. Might get you the opposite.

The reason I keep posting about fixing unit selection and QBs is that you keep ignoring my posts, or simply saying that "my opinion doesn't matter more than anybody else's".
No, I am saying that abusive posts and disregard for the opinions of others doesn't help your cause.

I'm not asking you to "defend your game" - I'm asking you to fix QBs and unit selection. Please.
That's fine and I've said in several threads now that QBs will change over time and will become more CMx1 like, though not the same.

Steve

[ August 26, 2007, 12:35 PM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]