Pentagon plans cyber-insect army

The Pentagon's defence scientists want to create an army of cyber-insects that can be remotely controlled to check out explosives and send transmissions.

The idea is to insert micro-systems at the pupa stage, when the insects can integrate them into their body, so they can be remotely controlled later....

...Its website says it has around 240 personnel and a $2bn (£1.1bn) budget. Supporters say much of its work has been successful, but it has also drawn criticism for unusable "blue-sky" projects.

A former director said in 1975: "When we fail, we fail big."

BBC link

Sounds like 21st century version of MIne Dogs and Bomb Bats, and I wonder if they plan to borgify lobsters :D

Never heard of the following wacky Animal in Combat plan:

WWII: Attach a bomb to a cat and drop it from a dive-bomber on to Nazi ships. The cat, hating water, will "wrangle" itself on to enemy ship's deck. In tests cats became unconscious in mid-air

Sounds like 21st century version of MIne Dogs and Bomb Bats, and I wonder if they plan to borgify lobsters :D

I hear they also plan to fold the program into a new "Policy Analysis Market". The insects will be trained (more like conditioned) to participate in a "stock market" designed to help predict terrorist attacks. Researchers hope that the astounding number of insect participants will make up for their total ignorance.