Test Mode for Scenario designer (buried in other thread)

This is a GREAT idea......

(note tom thinks it deserves its very own thread so it won't get over looked)

-tom w

"sgtgoody (esq)

Member # 11541

posted August 25, 2005 10:34 PM

Gotta add one more:

Test mode for scenarios. Designer can see all units while doing a run through but for game purposes FOW is as set. This can help greatly with tweaking AI actions and reaction."

**NOTE**

the idea being you could play against the AI with FoW off

Can't you do that already?

OR are you asking for NO FoW and have the AI play against the AI? for testing purposes?

Can you please clarify the idea or suggestion...

smile.gif

-tom w

[ August 26, 2005, 06:45 AM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

I asume he means playing with the players FOW off but the AI operating with FOW so you can check how the AI performs. The difference being I assume the AI acts differently when it knows where your assets are? This would seem like a good tool to tweak the AI for scenario design purposes.

Might also be a useful option for playing someone with lesser skills. A Dorosh mode. ;)

Originally posted by Elmar Bijlsma:

I asume he means playing with the players FOW off but the AI operating with FOW so you can check how the AI performs. The difference being I assume the AI acts differently when it knows where your assets are? This would seem like a good tool to tweak the AI for scenario design purposes.

Might also be a useful option for playing someone with lesser skills.

I thought the AI always operated in FOW mode, currently.

Tom, a request...

Could you please make use of the '' function within the forum so that your posts are a bit easier to wade though? While I am very happy that you take the time to gather posts and stray articles, lately your posts are becoming a real chore to sift through to determine what starts where and who is "talking", you, the original poster or somebody else?

It would be much appreciated!

Thanks again for all your input Bud...

Gromit

I believe that when you play with the fog of war off in CM1 that the AI can see where all of your units are just as well as you can the AI's units. This causes the AI to play the battle differently as it knows where your units are.

If I am assuming correctly this test mode would allow the fog of war to be "off" for the human player but still "on" for the AI. In other words the AI would play the game out as if fog of war were on allowing you to see what the computer is doing with its units and adjust the scenario accordingly (move VL's, reinforcements, etc.)to get better performance out of the AI( I know somtimes I have played a battle over and over when designing wondering how the AI ended up where it was and why, this could really help designers).

Of course I have been known to be wrong from time to time, I was divorced twice :rolleyes:

I'm flattered at this attention.

Emar has it right. From other discusions I believe the AI functions with the same FOW as the player. This causes it to act differently during play.

What I want is to be able to watch the AI playing what to it is a real game. As it is you have to play a while and then surrender to get a snapshot of what is happening. While this can give an image it isn't very good for seeing why the AI does what it does. If you could watch the AI develope its attack or defense you could get a better hold on how to set things up to get the desired AI behavior.

I don't know how many times I have plugged my way through an entire battle only to end it and have a major WTF moment when I see what the AI has done. I've seen entire tank companies set up in the small clearings in the middle of a dense wood and thus be entirely removed from the battle. I have also had the AI move units clear across the map for no appearent reason. It just seems to me that it would be easier to tell what was going on if you could actually watch it.

thanks for the clarification

for my own personal curiosity I would like to see the AI play against its self and watch what happens

I would think it would be fun for two players to set up units in a scenario and give them the first move orders and watch the AI handle the following turns until the conclusion of the battle (human hinted AI vs Human hinted AI)

But that's just me....

smile.gif

-tom w