Even with flaws........

........it is still way better than anything else out there. I admit to being disappointed that it is so unlike CMX1 in its gameplay precision, but the more I play (only in WEGO, RT is a no-go for me) the more I like. Actually managed to get two T72's hull-down to take out two Abrams...that was cool!

Reloaded COH last night, played a bit, confirmed it is shallow crap, uninstalled.

As for LOS/LOF problems....well COH is exactly the same.....units shooting each other through the ground etc. which suggests it is impossible at present to programme accurate LOS in a complex 3D game. It could be done with CMX1 because of the simplified terrain and unit representation.

CMX2 will get better with time and will be a classic by the time we get to CMX2 WW2..

Originally posted by carlR:

... which suggests it is impossible at present to programme accurate LOS in a complex 3D game.

Contrary to public opinion, I am under the impression that ToW does a close-to-perfect job on LOS calculation, at least for infantry! I loved to sneak the sniper in the demo around vehicle hulks and to watch how LOS was established exactly when it should have been!

Best regards,

Thomm

PS: I am half-way through the campaign and I am also impressed by the diversity of the missions and the maps! Since I discovered that (a) I have to plot waypoints in front of the doors I want squads to enter (B) avoid clustering vehicles to ease pathfinding, I hardly run into gameplay problems any more. I shall not get used to the current key controls, though, but this will be fixed in 1.02 it seems!

I'll just second (third?) what's said here.

This game is both amazing as is, and has amazing potential. And all from a development team/company doing for games what the Indie movement has done for movies.

A work in progress, but already a masterpiece. With all the click-fest schlock out there, it's a relief that somebody still cares about (war)gaming.

C.

I'll "fourth" what's been said (though we're definitely not the first people to provide positive feedback).

I've played several of the single missions and I'm currently on the second campaign mission, and I can safely say that I'm hooked already. I can certainly see some of the gameplay issues but it's not stopped me from really enjoying the game. The infantry animations (pathfinding issues aside) are great and the artillery interface blew me away (bad pun possibly intended). Seeing my line barrage of airbursts completely decimate an enemy trenchline was scarily cool.

I have every confidence that things will only improve from here, which is a pretty exciting prospect...

smile.gif

I'm definitely enjoying the game as well, especially after being away from the CM series for years.

I may need to be stripped of my grog credentials, but I am also really enjoying real time play. If anything, it adds a sense of realism to me. I never liked the perfectly coordinated movements that I could achieve in WeGo. Its also refreshingly hard! I ignore a squad for a minute while I'm directing something else and find that they have been decimated.

What I don't enjoy is the pathing issues, which are really bad. Even micromanaging movement doesn't seem to prevent Strykers taking joyrides down IED filled alleys when they could have just taken the straight main road like I asked them too. This is the big "must resolve" issue for me, and if its not correct this will be the last CM game I purchase :(

But I'd rather have the game now than be waiting on bug fixes. Now to figure out the (very complex) scenario editor...

--Chris

Originally posted by The Limey:

Company of Heroes. A WWII RTS game that doesn't hold a candle to CMx1 (unless you prefer RTS games, that is).

I really like both CoH and CMSF. They're very different games. Obviously from a realism standpoint CMSF wins hands down, but CoH is still a lot of fun, even if it's not realistic . I think for a standard RTS-type game CoH is probably on the high-end in terms of requiring thoughtful use of tactics.

Anyway enjoying one does not preclude enjoying the other.

COH is a graphically brilliant crap RTS game aimed at 15 year olds.
i got that game free with my graphix card, and while that mey be right what you say, i was absolutely astonished what they think realtime players can handle... tongue.gif

i mean i dont like realtime and i never play it, so i was totaly overhelmed by the many things i would have need done at at hte same time :mad:

at that point i quit and uninstalled it since its RT and too much possibilities for RT and too fast too...

i just wanted too take a look at it becouse many people seem to like the game.

when i think about CMSF and RT now, with even more possibilities and functions, allthough its slower, makes me scared away.

luckilie WeGo is in place.

Originally posted by carlR:

COH is a graphically brilliant crap RTS game aimed at 15 year olds.

Apologies if you are 15 smile.gif

Yep I came to the same conclusion when I tested CoH. Great RTS but I feel sick whenever somebody even hints that CoH is realistic in any way smile.gif