All the same fundamental flaws in all their glory.

Guest Guest

Trying to put a few things together :

CM:SF has a greatly asymmetrical setup whereby one side doesn't really have a hope in hell to beat the other in a straight, visors open fight.

So the scenarios have to be designed in an asymmetrical way to give the poorly equipped Syrians a chance to win the scenario by claiming victory points that the Americans can't afford to lose.

This generally makes the survival of individual men and pieces of kit much more important than it generally was in CMx1, and the loss of them through 'freaks of abstraction' much less acceptable to the player.

You might lose a King Tiger by having it get hit through a building in CMx1 and seriously endanger your chances of winning. But if your M1A1 gets hit through a building in CMx2, you may have lost the game there and then because you had to keep that tank alive.

So it's not the glitches in and of themselves that are the problem, it's those glitches in an overall game environment that makes them much more important.

Maybe the overall model is much more accurate than the CMx1 model was, but the accuracy hasn't increased enough so as to make the much more detailed world of CM:SF work as well as the somewhat more abstracted world of CMx1 worked with its less accurate model.

The CMx1 level of abstraction worked particuarly well for the East Front, where an individual life wasn't worth anything and hundreds of thousands died an anonymous and forgotten death. I think this perfect match between model and scale has a lot to do with what makes CMBB the favorite of so many so far.

From reading what I've read here, I feel that CM:SF does that job of matching model to scale a lot worse and that's why I'm not going to buy it (I know that not owning the game is instantly going to invalidate my opinion in the eyes of many, so be it).

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Pandur:

well, i dont wanted to do another thread just for this and it fits in this tread.

i did some screens about oddities in 1.04

the first 5 are all shot around the same 2 houses. i think it shows that some LOS/LOF problems could be tied to specific houses and a specific spot of the vehicle. when i moved the vehicle a bit it mostly worked or changed at least. at the 3rd house in this map i couldnt find such spots at all.

1sjt2.jpg

2smg6.jpg

3skx2.jpg

4sfq1.jpg

5srn3.jpg

this one is a great shot i find. its a RPG emerging out of the ground scoring a bottom penetration after pirceing about 15-20 meters of soldid material in front of the tank. the tank was knocked out and burned as soon as it hit.

the tank was visible, though. just a part of the turrent was possible to catch a hit and not the rest, let alone the bottom side.

rpgundergroundjf3.jpg

C'mom people....I told you before - CMSF is the future of tactical wargaming! RPG rounds emerging out of the ground, all the heaps of LOS/LOF problems & soldiers runnin round like headless chickens are mere 'abstractions.'

This outstanding game is not worthy of such derision from customers such as yourselves. You just dont "get it" do you!!??

Harden up and get with it!

- falco.

C'mom people....I told you before
Right, so why are you repeating endlessly the same thing? Because you think we aren't intelligent enough?

Come back when you will have something new to tell.Already a ton of hundreds post about this.

How amazing you can think LOS/LOF and headless chicken (partially to mainly solved in 1.04 in term of reactivity, sorry) issues is a developer's decision.

You know, logic works fine sometimes.

Can't understand why you are spending time about a game you obviously hate no matter what the devs. could try to fix to release it in a acceptable state.

C'mom people....I told you before - CMSF is the future of tactical wargaming! RPG rounds emerging out of the ground, all the heaps of LOS/LOF problems & soldiers runnin round like headless chickens are mere 'abstractions.'

This outstanding game is not worthy of such derision from customers such as yourselves. You just dont "get it" do you!!??

hehe, i think he means that ironicaly, if not its a strange joke. cant be something else tongue.gif

still, i second the "outstanding" game. its really great in the end, especially compared to other similar products. well its not CMx1 but its CMx2 ;) and it gets into shape, one cant repeat that too often. since 1.04 iam playing more than regulary again.

but i sure hope that "such"(screens for example) things we see here arent designed to be a feature.

EDIT:

hehe, i scored a own goal here i think. i misread a part ;)

[ October 13, 2007, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: Pandur ]

Originally posted by Pandur:

well, i dont wanted to do another thread just for this and it fits in this tread.

i did some screens about oddities in 1.04

the first 5 are all shot around the same 2 houses. i think it shows that some LOS/LOF problems could be tied to specific houses and a specific spot of the vehicle. when i moved the vehicle a bit it mostly worked or changed at least. at the 3rd house in this map i couldnt find such spots at all.

1sjt2.jpg

2smg6.jpg

3skx2.jpg

4sfq1.jpg

5srn3.jpg

this one is a great shot i find. its a RPG emerging out of the ground scoring a bottom penetration after pirceing about 15-20 meters of soldid material in front of the tank. the tank was knocked out and burned as soon as it hit.

the tank was visible, though. just a part of the turrent was possible to catch a hit and not the rest, let alone the bottom side.

rpgundergroundjf3.jpg

I think you were looking for this thread Pandur. Your not the first one that has been here 2 years who does not know where the search button is. smile.gif It makes it easier for us to find and fix the errors when you don't get lost in the retard minutia of posters like falco.

• 2 weeks later...

I see Falcos complaints as legitimate if a wee bit too repetitive. But I cant see where you can fault his logic here.

RPG's should definately not be coming out of the ground. I suppose a lot of sales of this game may have been to CM-1 fans like myself. Now I have said before that I enjoyed SF for what it was, it was fun but even after 1.04 I havent been playing it. In fact I havent touched it since 2 days after 1.04 came out. I just dont find it as interesting and it is still flawed. It just does not grasp my attention span more than a few minutes.

See target, fire misslie, kill target. Simplistic, maybe, but the game isnt much more than that.