PC Gamer review

TheNathan

Originally posted by GreenAsJade:

Heh.

So ... what are we worrying about then?

If you like the game, play and be happy.

If you don't like it, well then you could worry.

But PC Gamer doesn't like it so now we worry!?

I only know that I waited years on this game and apart from bugs and AI issues, it doesn't work with my 8800 GTX and that is beyond frustrating .... so I don't like it, no.

So I don't need PC Gamer to tell me if I like it, but some people might find it useful to check out some reviews and decide if they will risk their money - you do know this concept, right ?

Reviews are lurkwarm across the board. The general consensus seem to be that the game as such is very good, but that the bugs and glitches pretty much ruin the experience.

Now those reviewers "in the know" are perfectly aware that these are teething problems that BFC will eventually address (and have noted so in their reviews), but not all reviewers are so enlightened.

I won't pretend to know how much this will influence sales, particularly to the unitiated gamer, but it most certainly isn't going to help things.

Personally, I'm a little dissapointed that CM:SF wasn't delayed until the most aggrevating bugs were ironed out. Quite frankly, I expected more from BFC.

Agreed.

I whole-heartedly endorse reviews of games AS RELEASED! This one was not ready.

Some magazines will revisit games which have been significantly patched. However, I would drop my subscription to ANY game magazine which rated games based on their potential rather than their actual performance.

This game has, IMO, been ranked higher than it should solely due to BF.C's reputation.

Regards,

Ken

Heh.

So ... what are we worrying about then?

If you like the game, play and be happy.

If you don't like it, well then you could worry.

But PC Gamer doesn't like it so now we worry!?

I can like a game, and have the entire series fail due to a poor release and a reputation hit. Do not confuse subjective likes and dislikes with the objective consequences of a very poor release for what is normally considered to be a golden child of the gaming world.

c3k, I also think that some reviewers have put on the kid gloves because of Battlefront's good record. Hopefully the next game in the series will be a good release, otherwise we will see a much more brutal treatment of the game in the reviews.

You need PC Gamer to tell you whether to like a game or not? :eek:

Well, I use magazine reviews to check out games too. I have yet to be disappointed by a five star game in Computer Gamer and have generally been unhappy with low rated games. So, I do take reviews seriously if the source is reliable. It's a lot better than wasting my money. The fact is that by having a game released with bugs and getting the resulting poor reviews the publisher loses sales. I wouldn't buy a game that Computer Games said was buggy. Luckily for BF some mags will give a "post patch" review a couple months after the initial release.