Can't bind keys in 1.06?

So, it looks like there are only a couple of options for binding keys to commands in 1.06.

In 1.05, I bound a specific key to each command, and the game plays a lot better for me this way.

It doesn't look like there are slots available to bind specific keys to specific commands, except for a small number at the end of the hotkeys.txt

Am I correct in that this feature has been removed? Is there any way to bind a key to each command?

I changed a couple that are available, but they do not work in game. The keypresses aren't activating any commands.

I'm realy hoping that this is just a bug!

My key bindings work fine.

What's more, the installation of the patch seems to have preserved my old altered key bindings from 1.05. Is that possible? Did the patch simply not overwrite the older (1.05 vintage) hotkeys file?

(I know the patch worked because it says 1.06 on the splash screen and all of the new features are present.)

Ok, so something is amiss. Every previous version seems to have overwritten the hotkeys.txt file.

What I'm running is a full re-install of the BF.com version of the game with only the 1.06 patch applied. The patch says "all-inclusive", so I assume that I don't need to install 1.05 or any other patch first. Anyway, the menu says 1.06 ingame and I see all of the 1.06 features.

this time the patch does not overwrite the hotkeys.txt file due to a suggestion (assumption?) that it would be better if it did not.

I believe it is Charles' intention that your existing hotkeys.txt file NOT be over written by the patch. smile.gif

(That's a good thing right?)

smile.gif :cool:

[ February 04, 2008, 07:30 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]

Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

I believe it is Charles' intentional that your existing hotkeys.txt file NOT be over written by the patch. smile.gif

Ok, so it looks like the problem is that when you do a fresh install - a more limited version of "hotkeys.txt" is installed with only a couple of commands. (Hide, target, face, quick move)

When 1.06 doesn't overwrite this, the ordering is wrong and nothing seems to work right.

So I guess the hacky workaround is to install the patch to an empty directory and grab the hotkeys.txt file from there and manually overwrite the old one.

Actually, what happens is that the patch looks to see if you have a hotkeys.txt file installed already and if you don't or if you already renamed the old one then it copies the new one over, but if you DO have one (which we assumed would be one that you already made some changes to and was therefore newer) it doesn't overwrite it.

I guess I didn't expect people the reinstall fresh from v1.0 so I guess I can code up some more precise logic for the next patch.

I will add something to the online troubleshooting guide as well with either how to workaround this or even simplier, a link to the new hotkeys.txt file for them to download and overwrite the old one.

Sorry people, that was my bad, I tried to overthink a simple issue. Luckily, this will only affect someone installing from CD without any of the earlier patches already installed.

Madmatt

[ February 04, 2008, 06:10 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Originally posted by Flanker15:

I had to reinstall since there was an error for me, I don't really need the hot keys anymore with the space menu.

Ohh and the enemy comp just beat me for the first time (Total defeat as US), so 1.06 is epic win for me!

Anyway to bind the space menu to right mouse?

Programable mouse?