Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Mystified by all the ? spotting.

Can anybody explain spotting to me?

I am playing at veteran level and I understand spotting is per unit, not per side but...

Invariably Unit A sees lots of ? representing possible enemy units. I send Unit B up to investigate. It is closer, sometimes even actually on the supposed enemy position not under fire or any pressure and sees nothing where Unit A sees a potential enemy. Which is right? I am thinking it has to be unit B. Also when I don't select any unit how does the computer decide which enemy icons to display and whether these are type icons or ? unknowns. This confusion is really hampering my enjoyment of the game as I can never decide if I have cleared an area or not.

If I played at basic level would spotting revert back to what it was in the CMX1 games?

The questionmark is an old CMx1thing. Its a 'last seen' icon. So if Unit A spots some unidentified unit crawling behind a distant house by the time someone gets up there to investigate the unit may have hightailed it outa there long ago. Due to relative spotting Unit A may not hear from Unit B that the area's been cleared. Welcome to Fog of War! :D

Another possibility: unit B can be much closer and still see nothing - esp. if unit A is well equipped and can see/identify much better. For unit B: the Stryker MGS seem to have a very reduced awareness.

However, if you see a "?" and you right-click it (and thereby select it), it becomes only "resolved" when another unit on your side has identified the "?". No bug I guess ;)

Salute!

PS: Blown up tanks seem to keep their "?"-mark forever? Or is it just me?

Gents,

It is called relative spotting. In the old CM if one man could see it the entire company could see it.

When you click a unit in CMSF you can see only what that that individual unit can see, handy when targeting.

When you right click you get the complete picture, as if you had reports from all of the individual units come up and been processed.

Not sure if you can determine who is seeing target and who is a ? but all in all I find that doesn't matter as much as knowing an enemy is there.