Weapon Accuracy

Hi all

Just a question regarding shock force before I jump in and buy it.

How accurate are the tank guns? The reason I ask is that in CMBB you weren't always guaranteed a hit. With the accuracy of main battle tanks guns nowadays (I think it's about a 98% chance of a hit) I feel this might take the fun out of the game somewhat.

Can someone enlighten me as to how this part of the game fares?

Oh and before some bugger tells me that a 98% chance of scoring a hit is incorrect I read it at Bovington Tank Museum - hey I don't make up the stats! :D

Skimbo

Even the most rapid tank battles of gulf war one took on the order of an hour between brigade sized forces. This does not suggest every shot hit and killed. If they did, battles would last about 2 minutes.

As another check, air to ground smart munitions routinely claim a 90% success rate or higher. But in fact, the average kills per Maverick fired in the first gulf war ran about one in three, and that made it the most successful precision air to ground AT munition in history. For lased bombs at stationary targets glowing in IR signature on a desert floor at night, the actual kill rate was around 25%. Both still enough to KO a third to half of the Iraqi armor force in a month - but in a month, not a night.

Over 90% accuracy for first shots is sure at best conditions only (i.e. training grounds).

During a modern battle you can have many supplement factors such as weather and crew.

Even considering this a modern battle can't be compared to WW2 style one:

-accuracy

-ranges

-gun-armor duels

all of such have really different layouts.

Still WW2 armor engagements can be much more funny and interesting, also much longer.

Wouldn't mind the targeting indicator give a coarse estimation of the likely effectiveness of firing. Let it be affected by FOW, experience, morale. By 'coarse', ex. "too far", "too weak", "easy kill", et al -- vague terms, not %, would seem reasonable.

Yes I'd like to see something like that (from old CM1x series just for a change), but consider also that tank engagements are quite fast, especially if playing in real time, and so you couldn't even have the time to select the right command put it on the enemy and have an idea of what where when that you got already a kill or a boomed tank...

oh maybe this is the reason they took it off, it wasn't nice for RT play mode...!

Originally posted by Kieme(ITA):

Yes I'd like to see something like that (from old CM1x series just for a change), but consider also that tank engagements are quite fast, especially if playing in real time, and so you couldn't even have the time to select the right command put it on the enemy and have an idea of what where when that you got already a kill or a boomed tank...

oh maybe this is the reason they took it off, it wasn't nice for RT play mode...!

It'd be useful in ambush.

For instance, if you have a concealed ATGM team, there are situations in which the ATGM team should hold fire. It may even be obvious -- to them -- that they should hold fire, such as if the opposing vehicle looks like an M1 Abrahms moving on undulating terrain at top speed perpendicular to LOF at a distance of 1km and the ATGM is a AT-4C. I don't expect the manual to cover this in detail (as in, say, how slow a vehicle must be moving for a given distance for a hit to be 'likely') and some factors would probably be impractical to compute (ex. for non fire-and-forget ATGMs, whether or not LOF is constrained through a 'keyhole' that is not wide enough to cover the trajectory of the vehicle from launch to desired impact -- this would get real ugly real fast) but even a highly approximate in-game indication might be handy.