Great feature of target arc command!

The target arc command will show you the dead spots in the arc where your LOS is blocked. They are the places where the landscape inside the arc does not yellow. This is very useful for figuring out which part of the map isn't covered.

I love the game overall by the way. Charles will get the bugs stamped out here directly and the vast underlying potential of this engine will be revealed. It is a perfectly good a playable game now.

Originally posted by dan/california:

The target arc command will show you the dead spots in the arc where your LOS is blocked. They are the places where the landscape inside the arc does not yellow. This is very useful for figuring out which part of the map isn't covered.

I love the game overall by the way. Charles will get the bugs stamped out here directly and the vast underlying potential of this engine will be revealed. It is a perfectly good a playable game now.

Great catch, Dan! I was using the target command to get an LOS line and didn't even think to use the target arc! Works great! Thanks!

Originally posted by B00M$LANG:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by dan/california:

Great catch, Dan! I was using the target command to get an LOS line and didn't even think to use the target arc! Works great! Thanks! </font>

I've used this a few times too and it works well. For now cover arcs can't be deployed off the edge of the map (which means dead spots in corners) and unarmed units (like HMMWVs or the Syrian jeeps) don't have any targeting commands in their menu - so no LoS checking at all for these units.

Originally posted by metalbrew:

For now cover arcs can't be deployed off the edge of the map (which means dead spots in corners) and unarmed units (like HMMWVs or the Syrian jeeps) don't have any targeting commands in their menu - so no LoS checking at all for these units.

I keep hearing about this corner problem with Arcs. The Arc in my experience only tells the unit where to look, not how far to fire. So as long as some kind of arc is pointing towards the corner of the map, it is covered - the yellow bit doesn't have to be covering it.

That's what I've found so far with arcs, anyway, but I don't normally have battles in the corners...

TM

Originally posted by ToadMan:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by metalbrew:

For now cover arcs can't be deployed off the edge of the map (which means dead spots in corners) and unarmed units (like HMMWVs or the Syrian jeeps) don't have any targeting commands in their menu - so no LoS checking at all for these units.

I keep hearing about this corner problem with Arcs. The Arc in my experience only tells the unit where to look, not how far to fire. So as long as some kind of arc is pointing towards the corner of the map, it is covered - the yellow bit doesn't have to be covering it.

That's what I've found so far with arcs, anyway, but I don't normally have battles in the corners...

TM </font>

Originally posted by metalbrew:

Cover arcs aren't just to keep a unit looking in a certain direction. They're a method to tell you troops to not fire until the enemy enters your cover arc. If you set a short cover arc, say 50m and the enemy is standing in plain view 100m away your unit doesn't fire (unless it's a matter of survival and then the TacAI overrides the cover arc).

So since the cover arc can't extend beyond the map edge, you're unable to make cover arcs include the corners of maps. Therefore if an enemy is in or near a corner your troops won't fire at them.

I just tested this again and you are right. When I'd used the Arcs before the units seemed to fire at things outside of them anyway, but in the heat of the (RT) battle, it may be that the units had broken and shot whatever they saw.

Anyway, one workaround is to move the unit away from the corner, draw the arc the size you want it and then move the unit back to the corner so the arc covers it.

TM

Originally posted by mike_in_texas:

Interesting. I haven't seen this feature of showing dead spots when using the covered arcs yet. Can someone take a picture of this, and post it?

Thanks,

Mike

Does not work that way for me either... just the yellowish "glow" all over. The buildings kind of stick up above it, but no, I don't see any LOS functionality. None.