New Graphics card? Advice please?

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my graphics card but I'm a bit confused - not to difficult either smile.gif

I'm running on my PC:

Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2

Motherboard: ASUS P4S800/800Mhz

1GB RAM

Intel P4 3.6GHz/800Mhz/512Kb cache

Nvidia GeForce FX5200/128Mb PCI Card (Driver version 6.14.10.5673)

The confusion arises from my thinking about getting a graphics card that will run in the one AGP 8X slot I have on the motherboard. However, the voltage given for the AGP slot is 1.5V only. All the AGP graphics cards I've seen suggest I need 4V on the AGP slot.

Am I stuffed then in getting an AGP card to run on this motherboard or am I missing some fundamental and obvious bit of information?

Many thanks for the anticpated help smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George Mc

Originally posted by Jack Carr:

Everything about your rig looks pretty good to me, with the exception of the 5200 video card. Just go get a 6800 or 7800 series AGP card.

The clock speed on your processor is awesome! Is that an extreme P4?

Hi Jack

Thanks for the prompt response - I'll start the hunt right now!

Hhmm, not sure about the processor. Checking the info that came with the processor it is a Pentium P4 that supports hyper threading. I can't find any mention about whether it is an extreme P4 :confused: Still it does the job and let's me design and play HUGE scenarios :D

Thanks again for the advice smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George

Originally posted by zdenka:

before going ahead with your upgrade check to see if your power supply is up to the task.

i did a similar upgrade once and had instant bsods down to a 250w psu.

This is good advice. The newer cards are power hungry and the power supply has to be up to the task.

There are no 4 V AGP cards and no 512 KB cache 3.6 GHz Pentium-4. The 3.6 GHz Pentium4-s are Prescotts which either have 1 MB or 2 MB L2, or in rare cases the extreme edition with 4 MB L3.

The Asus L4 should drive the newest AGP cards just fine.

And yes, likely you need a new power supply. But the Prescott is a power hog anyway, maybe whoever built the PC put in a decent PSU.

Hi All

Many thanks for your replies - my apolgies for the late reply but I've been away the past week. I actually built the PC myself, but I will not profess to being a PC wizz - I can however bolt bits together!

Redwolf:

thanks for the comments - I dragged the spec off my PC system details bit. I fitted the PSU but I'll have to go and check what it is. I'm sure I did install a biggie though as my long term plan was to upgrade bits as and when I had the money and new stuff came along.

Thanks for the comments guys about the other graphics cards - I'm trawling throuhg the net now to see what is what and at what price.

Thanks gain one and all for your excellent advice smile.gif

Cheers fur noo

George