CMX2 Precursors??

"Why do you even ask?"

for that matter, why do you even answer?

With all these new games coming out from the battlefront stable it seems reasonable to ask to what extent they have an influence on the (to me anyway) biggie of them all. Does that seem unreasonable to you?

Originally posted by Sivodsi:

Does that seem unreasonable to you?

Well, yes as a matter of fact. Different design teams, using different game engines. Not obvious there should be any reason for there to be much influence of one on any other. The only things those games have in common is the publisher and some development help from the publisher's employees.

Michael

There's just too great differences in the game designs for any meaningful influence to occur. Of course, when Charles and Steve et al have a look at these games, maybe they will pick up some innovations. But they might just as well do so whilee playing Rome: Total War or Half Life 2.

Besides, until we have seen the next CM game, it is quite impossible to know what it will be like. Even with my ÃœberIntuition. My only prediction is that the next generation will be more like the previous generation than it will be like T-72, DropTeam or les Grognards.

Well, I would say that perhaps the combination of DropTeam and LesGrogs rule out that CMX2 will have any of those settings (that would be over doing it wouldn't it?). But then there are several small hints that it'll be a combined arms setting, which is what I would expect anyway.

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by Bonxa:

Well, I would say that perhaps the combination of DropTeam and LesGrogs rule out that CMX2 will have any of those settings (that would be over doing it wouldn't it?).

You couldn't have been more wrong. We all know now that the first module will be about French vs. Space Lobsters.

French vs. Space Lobsters on a terraformed moon that suffered major civil wars and technological regression--that's why the French are using Napoleonic weapons and tactics again.

I think CMx2 will be closest to Starcraft, with the A-rabs standing in for the Zerg, the US Army for the Protoss, and the USMC (in the module) for the Terrans.

Yeh yeh, we know, whole differet game engine. But for months I've been looking over Drop Team's terrain maps or local textured surfaces and thinking "Could this approximate CMSF's look?" Or would ToW look more like the finished product?

I know, we're committing heresy trying to compare 'apples & oranges'. But we're starved for info here. Like the starving guy on the desert island who looks at his companion and imagines a big fried chicken - we're so starved that we'relooking at the other games and imagining juicy CMSF bones.

[ October 25, 2006, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: MikeyD ]

From the recent screenshots it looks like we were all WRONG. CMSF isn't going to resemble Drop Teams or ToW at all. CMSF is going to resemble... CM! At least the Alpha build does. And I mean that in a good way. Some games try so hard the display starts to look muddy and confusing. CMSF - at least the CMSF build they're giving us a peek at - has a 'crisp' look to it. :D

Hey guys, its not a big deal. When I wrote it I wasn't sure of the relationship between the different developers and it seemed reasonable to me that some sharing of ways and means would go on. Its only slightly embarrassing that a thread that I started a year or so ago resurfaced like some monster from the deep.

So, MM, no offense taken (or indeed from anybody else), and Colin, thanks for your support, though it wasn't really necessary.