Big City Blues V2 Now at CMMODS.com

Revised Edition: Stryker Company Fox fights it's way into Damascus

BEST PLAYED as BLUE or as Two player Hot Seat, PBEM or TCP/IP. RT or WEGO OK

I have heavily altered AI Red Defender setup zones to Better use Buildings (especially tall)

The Red AI has 5 Plans (AI Blue has one general plan but it is NOT recommended to play Human Red vs AI Blue)

The player has been given a very difficult task but plenty of time to execute. You'll need to clear this portion of a City crowded with non-combatants! As always, preservation of your force is critical to your success.

BCBOPWrk2a.jpg

The combination of the map and Red AI variations will keep you on your toes! The Freeway Exit seems like the best way in. You can use your speed to surprise and overwhelm the enemy. Or maybe there's some other way?

OK times a wastin'. Get a plan, any plan, but get your people moving!"

BCBTacMap.jpg

Get the New and Improved Big City Blues at www.CMMODS.com

Before going to sleep I decided to give this scenario a go.

Why do I need to mention it was before going to sleep? To justify my Major Defeat, what else!? :D

Fantastic scenario. Small in size but very complex and difficult. The city setting is very interesting and poses some major challenges.

I tried to just go in en force, blowing walls everywhere and sending everyone in. It seems this is the right recipe for disaster. But did I have fun! tongue.gif

Now I'm anxious to find some time to play it again and I'm already thinking of several plans to accomplish the very demanding goal of taking the 3 objectives.

Another great one from the most prolific scenario designer around!

-

The thing that I wanted to do with this scen was to learn MOUT. I can tell you that SOMETIMES I do pretty well. There are a ton of variables in the Red AI so even after multiple replays the player can never really key into a plan based on where he sees a vehicle or sniper. It's a good way to learn MOUT and you've got an Hour of playtime with lots of support at your command. Think all arms and force preservation at every turn.

Mark, I have to agree with SgtMuhammed on this one.

I played it again.

It is a very interesting map to learn MOUT like you said but 4 objectives(first time I missed one!!!) seems a bit too much.

The opposition is tough, you have to go slowly and carefully and keep casualties to a minimum. To try and split your forces and go for all 4 objectives at once doesn't seem to work. Going for one at a time takes forever.

I thought I'd been reckless the first time but even been very careful this is very tough.

Is it winnable at all? I wonder how others did it.

******** SPOILER ALERT *****************

I finished my second game thinking I had secured objetives Fox 2, 3 and 4. But only Fox 4 had actually been secured. 2 and 3 still had enemy troops hidding and defending.

Even if I had more time and managed to secure Fox 3, Fox 2 would not be possible without a lot of fighting and loses.

Fox 1 seems to be the hardest.

I guess one needs to concentrate all mortars and the helicopter support on it before going in.

Also taking the top of the buildings near by is crucial.

I'm not sure how much different plans for Red would matter here. The way the buildings are placed is what poses the major challenges. The attacker has to move and expose himself no matter what.

With only one hour, at some point you will need to hurry.

I'm not giving up on this one though! I'll try it again.

-

[ March 15, 2008, 10:58 AM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

Map size 400meters X 512meters... (That's a SMALL Map.)

Blue Friendly Cas 15% gets 75 pts (that equals 1 1/2 objectives Pts)

Enemy Casualties 85% gets 50 Pts (equals 1 Objective PT)

Blue Power: a Full Stryker Company with it's MGS Plus Helo's and Mortar's and an EQUAL number of men. Finally, you have 1 hr to do the job.

How to Win? Use your superior Fire power by first spotting the enemy and bring down accurate Helo and Mortar fire. Follow up with MGS cover fires on any activity followed by Stryker Grenade Chuckers and then move into an area under the cover of smoke dismount your troops and clear out the remaining forces. If you rush, you die.

Originally posted by MarkEzra:

Map size 400meters X 512meters... (That's a SMALL Map.)

Blue Friendly Cas 15% gets 75 pts (that equals 1 1/2 objectives Pts)

Enemy Casualties 85% gets 50 Pts (equals 1 Objective PT)

Blue Power: a Full Stryker Company with it's MGS Plus Helo's and Mortar's and an EQUAL number of men. Finally, you have 1 hr to do the job.

How to Win? Use your superior Fire power by first spotting the enemy and bring down accurate Helo and Mortar fire. Follow up with MGS cover fires on any activity followed by Stryker Grenade Chuckers and then move into an area under the cover of smoke dismount your troops and clear out the remaining forces. If you rush, you die.

Ok, ok! I was not arguing with you, just giving you some feedback and my opinion. smile.gif

I do like it tough. It's definitely a good challenge and I will play it again. It's a very realistic looking map and mission.

I could always open it in the editor and change it but I want to play it as you intended it to be and learn from the experience.

Maybe I'm just spoiled by the fact that all the scenarios I played lately I got a Total Victory on my first go. Including some of yours. :rolleyes:

Also, there is no feedback from other players saying how well they did on this one.

Anyway, thanks for the tips.

-

[ March 16, 2008, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: Webwing ]

Yeah, if this was the real thing the answer would definitely be no. Having a single man killed would have made the cost too high. I thank God I don't have to make this kind of decisions in real life.

As a game though, it was well worth it! :D

This kind of mission is addictive, you want to try again to see if you could do better. I always feel like I could have done better.

I play RT only. I also never reload a saved game. I usually play the game from the start again. In this case though WEGO might have made me go a bit slower and pay more attention to the troops thus avoiding many casualties.

In RT I tend to focus on an area and let the AI take care of the other areas. Then I pause and turn my attention to another area.

But sometimes I'm just reckless or tired and do some dumb things.

There are instances though where you lose man for some strange reasons.

For instance. I stoped my Stryker in front of a building and ordered the troops into the building. The enemy was on the opposite side so my men would be safe while entering. At the same time the Stryker came under fire from some guy in a building and started reversing. I clicked on the Striker and ordered it to stop reversing. As it stoped the troops came out of the Stryker but now in the open and were slaughtered by the enemy and only one got to the building in one piece. What the hell was that!?

If this was WEGO I could have replayed the turn I guess.

Helo support is as always a gamble. Not very effective when they sometimes hit the target either. The mortars were very powerful but too few to really help.

I also had trouble using Javelins in the open stages of the fight. It was hard to find a good spot for the troops where they could see the target but where they would not be too exposed.

Anyway, this is a fantastic scenario, with loads of different situations that force you to use different tactics in a short period of time. The map is small but the situations very complex.

--

That's true. The game is awesome. But the editor can't generate great missions on it's own.

But I used to like the game when most everyone was saying it was unplayable and too buggy!

I enjoyed it the first time I played. It has always been fun and only got better.

--

I enjoyed it too. I did go into the editor & added two 120mm mortar teams. I just feel like that no force would be sent into a battle like this without more arty. It's still a tough & fun scenario,it's just my humble opinion that I needed to add the additional arty.

Keep the great scenarios coming!!!!

Question for all. How do you make a squad with the engineer search & find mines? I'm always careful at a major intersection or street position for my armor & like to search for mines to clear the location. One of my Strykers found some mines when it panicked & reversed right into the mines & was immobilized. Any help would be appreciated. Another reason I like this scenario is that the Red has different options on setup randomly for each time you play the game. I know others have mentioned that, I just wanted to add my praise. Great scenario & well done!!!!! Quit your day job & just concentrate on scenarios. Hee...

Edited to add: I just need the mine field help on this scenario. Others I have played with engineer squads, I can locate the mines.

Originally posted by JP76er:

Edited to add: I just need the mine field help on this scenario. Others I have played with engineer squads, I can locate the mines.

Mines? what mines!?....he, he, he.... Well first there is little way to know where the mines are Plan by plan. That is because each Red AI plan has more specific mine set up areas than mines allotted. So the game is allowed to choose specific areas no matter which AI plan is drawn.

You as a commander are on the horns of a dilemma (constantly in this scen it seems) regarding how to handle mines. Procedure, of course, is to call for the engineers and wait. But you really can't do that. So you'll have to either test suspected mined areas by Stryker or make your own path. When you think about what a minefield actually does (force enemy units to either take another path or slow enemy progress long enough to allow accurate cover fire to take effect) you May want to consider creating your own entrance points to this little acre of hell in Damascus.

You're evil, aren't you? Hee... I love the scenario, it is quite the challenge & I'm learning a lot. I'm about to edit it & add a battery or two of 155mm & just leveling the place & walking on in. Won't be much fun though, pretty cool to watch I bet.

Keep em coming!

Originally posted by JP76er:

You're evil, aren't you? Hee... I love the scenario, it is quite the challenge & I'm learning a lot. I'm about to edit it & add a battery or two of 155mm & just leveling the place & walking on in. Won't be much fun though, pretty cool to watch I bet.

Keep em coming!

How about a nice screen shot...we all LOVE to view the carnage available... and it's just a mouse click away!

Excellent mission. Got quite frustrated after playing a few times and always gettin slaughtered in the dense city area in front of the setup zone. Added 2 120mm batteries and 'prepared the first buildings with it. Managed to clear that area and move further. Haven't finished yet.

Originally posted by afreu:

Excellent mission. Got quite frustrated after playing a few times and always gettin slaughtered in the dense city area in front of the setup zone. Added 2 120mm batteries and 'prepared the first buildings with it. Managed to clear that area and move further. Haven't finished yet.

The thing is, if you clear that area with extra artilery you got at least 50% of the work done for you. It's a different mission altogether. But anyway that's the beauty of it, you can change to your own taste... ;)

--

Originally posted by MarkEzra:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by JP76er:

Keep em coming!

How about a nice screen shot...we all LOVE to view the carnage available... and it's just a mouse click away! </font>

I'm still working on screen shots. I just had some fun last night & added everything I could think of & unleashed it. I see exactly why we (USA) are reluctant to take out any targets in a city environment, with any bombs from a jet. Pretty pin point accuracy but you still have quite the collateral damage. If it was between my men or that building, I would definitely use the air power. Otherwise, I would use it in great restraint. Working the arty, 81mm, 120mm & 155mm on targets, worked out very well. They worked great in the city to discourage some insurgents plus disrupt their plans to reinforce areas. I liked how much control I have on time & amount of shelling to use. I find that arty is my friend. I'm still on the bubble with how the copters work in this game. I know other people have already sent input to Battlefront & I pretty much have the same issues brought to their attention. Seems like a lack of detail & control. I'm really using this scenario as a training tool & it's greatly appreciated. I'm adding some Abrams today & see how well they work with this scenario & map. Fox 1 is pretty innocuous but a tough nut to crack. Still trying new tactics in that area.