Are units seeing things I'm not?

Example: I was moving a BMP, between two buildings on to a street it would start moving to where I wanted it, but then it would back up again every time it entered the street, I tried this more then once, I finaly got to were I want only to have it go boom!! I never saw any threat but, did the unit see something?

Playing RT I have seen my units spot, fire, and kill, where I only saw the kill!!!

So are units seeing somethings I'm not?

Depending on what setting you are playing. If playing veteran or higher (elite?) you see only what the unit you have selected sees.

So if you did not have selected the BMP in question, you would not know the threat it saw, unless the unit you did have selected saw it also (or had communication with the BMP and was told about it).

If you kept the BMP selected though the move, you shouls see the same threat it saw.

Yup - if you have no units selected, you see the 'overall picture' on the battlefield. I.e. you see all the units your entire force sees.

If you select an individual unit, then you only see what that unit sees.

I think it works pretty well once you get used to it.

Muldoon

I not sure relative spotting is the issue here, I'm moving a BMP betweem too buildings, the unit is selected, but it doesn't want to move were I ordering it to go. The BMP acted like it is responding to a threat (going forward and then backing up), yet I don't see any threat. After multiple tryings the BMP finally moves then go's boom.

If this is relatice spotting it's not working right. I should have seen the threat if the unit was responding to it.

The relative spotting thing is cool, but this does not seem to be the problem here. Rather, Ive experienced things like this myself. Tried to move a stryker forward, no go. Tried to change command to hunt, no go. Tried to reverse it, and then move forward, worked.

I think you just experienced a bug and when it finnaly moved it was just a coinsidens that it got killed.

Originally posted by pad152:

I wonder if relative spotting is causing some of the pathing issues or what some think are pathing issues?

It might be causing all sorts of issues, but if you still believe the BMP was retreating then do some tests. Make a night mission with a Stryker and one poorly trained T-72. Park the Stryker out of sight and on the flank of the T-72. When you start the mission move the Stryker into LOS and watch. You'll likely see the Stryker spot the T-72 first, engage it with the HMG and then be destroyed... not having taken any actions to break contact with the tank.

[ July 31, 2007, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: SmithyG ]

in the demo i can have a T-72 with the commander out on the hill on the right, with a M1A1 barreling along with it's weak flank exposed

i just played the mission where the T-72 was in position for at least 15 seconds before it blew up , and it never saw the abrams, whilst the rest of my force was sending AT-4C , AT-4A ( my BMPs took a while to spot the abrams as well ) and RPGs at the tank

whats wrong with my demo, i really can't believe that a unbuttoned commander can't spot an M1A1 about 200m away in an open field!