Just an idea...

Nick06

Has anyone here ever played battle front 19something. Well in the Demo the objective of the battle is hit-points... I don't think thats the way to go for DT but there was something that was different about this game that I liked. The level was set on a island with little bases all over it. on opposite sides were main bases that couldn't be captured. The other little base could be captured by rolling a tank in and staying there for 20 seconds. Once captured, the bases served as ammo refill zones for tanks. I think this would be a nice thing to have in DT...

Anything anyone would like to add, any downsides?

The obvious problem with facilities as currently set up on most maps which reload weaponry:

Thor mortar. Park it in the reload base. Odds are good there's an ion defense tower next door, too. Now you have a nearly indestructible artillery-launching nightmare under an umbrella of significant defensive fire. It never runs out of ammo, so the only reason it'd need to extract would be because of damage. It's all but invulnerable to non-Mercury-called counterbattery fire.

That is just an argument against deployment in the central bases of the Occupation maps as they're currently designed. Conversely, putting reload facilities out in the non-center non-Objective maps co-located with an ion tower might give Attackers a reason to actually bother with those sites rather than simply wholly by-pass them. Having a site from which to launch an ongoing heavy bombardment would be worth the loss in point-accruing attacker force.

So, summary: I think there's definitely a role for an "armoury" capturable facility ... but it'll need to be carefully allocated to maps to avoid creating a serious imballance.

(Periphrially related, though, is that being Defender on the Objective maps now that mine-dropping during combat has been disabled is almost nightmarishly hard. People exploding in your deployment-laid fields still appears to degrade said field, and there's no way to refresh them ... so your defensive boundary steadily becomes more and more permeable as you go. Being Defender sucks in that sense, and coupled with the often less-than-useful 76mm turrets, it gets no better.)

Remember that the Thor-MC has 40 ammo. With a reload time of IIRC 6s thats 4min of continous firing. Thats nearly enough time to continously call the galaxy.

Invulnerable? No. If its alone just drive there and kill it. Even a Bacchus could do that smile.gif

If not then you have bound two players to a single weapon which is IMHO the right price.

Originally posted by poesel71:

Remember that the Thor-MC has 40 ammo. With a reload time of IIRC 6s thats 4min of continous firing. Thats nearly enough time to continously call the galaxy.

Invulnerable? No. If its alone just drive there and kill it. Even a Bacchus could do that smile.gif

If not then you have bound two players to a single weapon which is IMHO the right price.

Ah, yes, it had an ammo increase recently. Still, it's pretty significantly disgusting if its co-located in the only Objective location. It, pointedly, won't be alone so there's no trade-off for deploying it in that situation. Notably why I suggested that the situation at the non-central bases was an acceptable trade-off; an attacking or defending force would have to devote a portion of the force to defending the Thor and manning it. (Though good luck with getting through the armour with a 14mm round from the Bacchus ... I'd rather try it with a 20mm HMG squad, and even then, I'd be unhappy.)

As I said, its the potential presence at the central base in a map like Hopewell that introduces issues, especially on the defender's side. Guaranteed co-location of forces with no trade-off is more than mildly disruptive. At least as the attacking force, you have to take the ion tower / reload facility with a Cutter to get use out of it, which is not easy.

A rearm spot should work fine even with a Thor MC IF you built it so that it is a building you have to drive into to rearm. It could be buil in such a way as to block all lanes of fire except for one. Of course this would make attacking any heavily armored unit like a Thor HC a bear, but only so long as it stays holed up in the rearm building; and since the attackers score points whether or not a defender is present, this shouldn't have any effect on the attacker's ability to take the objective.

Why not make it that you can rearm in your own reenforcement zones? Those are unlikely to have coverage by Ion Towers, and that way, a non-damaged vehicle could just get out of the way and reload, without tying up the galaxy resupply.

Or, perhaps, by parking yourself in a reenforcement zone, your destroyed/damaged systems can slowly (very slowly, as to avoid the 'invicible' problem) come back online.

Originally posted by IcemanUSA:

Why not make it that you can rearm in your own reenforcement zones? Those are unlikely to have coverage by Ion Towers, and that way, a non-damaged vehicle could just get out of the way and reload, without tying up the galaxy resupply.

Or, perhaps, by parking yourself in a reenforcement zone, your destroyed/damaged systems can slowly (very slowly, as to avoid the 'invicible' problem) come back online.

Reinforcement zone repair seems reasonable, but honestly, I should just extract from the location and switch to a non-damaged behicle. The extracted one goes back into the pool after a delay for "repairs," so extract/redeployment keeps me in play in the tactical situation.

Likewise, for rearming. Having it occur all along the reinforcement zone is appealing on a number of levels, even if hard to necessarily work into the in-game metafiction of "how that works."

Okay so maybe there are a few complications about the ammo part but what if some maps just had little bases all over. Nothing big just a couple houses and an infantry shelter or something. No air defense and would not be able to be captured. Hmmmm maybe the base could be a reinforcement zone too.