Teamspeak or 'Get yourself a headset'!

poesel

This game has an IMHO _very_ useful inbuilt teamspeak function. Easy to use and working flawlessly it allows each player to talk to his teammates by just pressing a button.

I still have not yet met someone else to use this feature, though. Maybe its my timezone or lack of gametime lately, but it makes me wonder. Headphones are cheaply available, so there must be another reason.

Not wanting to yell at your computer maybe one, but there must be others.

If you can't think of one, then GET YOURSELF A HEADSET! smile.gif

cool breeze: if you use a microphone you catch the sound from the speakers too. Also, because the microphone is farther away from your mouth, it needs to be a better (=more expensive) micro than that in a normal headset. So I'd say you are better off with a headset.

I've used several different models from cheapo to good quality and they all work good enough. The one feature it should have is a manual volume control.

Monk: um, ah, yes. I'm old... smile.gif

Yes, this does work good. I was playing last night and two of the players on my team were talking to me. I had to hit the enter key and type my reply. It's a little too time consuming to be typing a reply in such a hostile environment. I'm going to try and set my machine up with a headset.

sadly when you have a baby sleeping in the next room sometimes you just have to stick to typing...
I feel your pain! Keep the headset plugged in and ready, though. You never know when you might get an unexpected 30 minute window of fun. I often wake the baby up even when not using the microphone though because Yurch or Jung does something clever and I jump out of my chair and scream "BOOYA!" before I realize what I'm doing...

Yet people don't hear me in Drop Team?
Maybe your mic volume is too low, Warsprite. You can test it in DropTeam by running a standalone game and using the voice chat function. In a standalone game, you hear yourself as other players would hear you so you can use this mode to test mic volume and other settings.

I experienced the voice function for the first time online and it took about ten seconds to see how worthwhile it is. I am shopping for headsets this weekend.

Funny thing is, it scared the bejeezus out of me. I dropped into a server and suddenly this disembodied Australian is asking me if I've got voice. :D

it scared the bejeezus out of me. I dropped into a server and suddenly this disembodied Australian is asking me if I've got voice.
That's hilarious, konstantine!

It's always the Aussies. The first guy in the private beta who bothered to get his headset working was Mace. He lives down there where the blood goes to your head, too. Almost everyone else quickly followed suit. Once you see (hear?) it in action you quickly realize how essential it is.

Clay, I have a request regarding voice - I'm constantly missing messages from these guys due to the roar of fire, engines, ect. Can some option be added to reduce in-game volume while voice chat is occuring?

[ July 15, 2006, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: yurch ]