Last Night's Action

Spanish Bombs

Jumped onto the servers last night, and there were a few players on (I think it was 3 on 3 plus the bots). Had a lot of fun, even if the Archipalego map is a tough one for a CTF scenario.

Two things happened that I thought were a little strange, however:

-at one point I was in a damaged, slow Thor trying to get a flag back to our base. I was able to manuever close to a bot Paladin and drop the flag, intending to take over the bot for the run back to our base. However, after I dropped the flag, and switched to the bot, the flag 'magically' transported itself back to the other teams' base - it hadn't been touched by the other team or anything.

-in another game, I was running in a 76mm Paladin when I crested a hill and was running full speed into an enemy Thor MBT. I assumed my fate was sealed, so (like that Sherman in Operation Goodwood who ran into a pair of King Tigers), I got up to ramming speed and hit the Thor on its flank. I was sort of expecting some sort of deadlock at that point and my quick demise, but instead I found that I could pretty much push the Thor wherever I wanted to. In fact, I think I pushed it around until the other player extracted (was it Jung?), in part because I was laughing so hard I couldn't shoot the Thor enough to kill it. Anyway, I don't know about the relative mass of the vehicles in the game, but it seems to me that the Paladin shouldn't be able to ram and have its way with a heavy MBT.

Lots of fun last night, though, I hope that the multiplayer action on the servers will be heating up.

The flags seem to have some locations they aren't allowed (and are insta-returned), like the ice sections of the snow map or water. It's possible you found another such location when you dropped your flag.

This can lose a team the game sometimes. I'm not sure why it shouldn't dissapear on a timer just like anyplace else.

Originally posted by konstantine:

I got killed a lot. :D

And I like the tactic of dropping a sensor jammer on a hill and picking off targets while you're "invisible".

I get killed a lot too - it only bothers me if the level depends on me staying alive ;) If it's CTF, then I'll push the limits to get that flag from base to base. Best I've done on a single instance is four flags transfered :)

Actually, now I think about it, I only got killed 4 or 5 times on that one, but it may have something to do with being in the air a lot :)

Sensor jammers are a huge advantage against human players. The bots seem to have a better chance of spotting you however and will pick you off if you aren't careful/mobile.

I've noticed more players trying to make advance drop points to sneak tanks in closer to the objectives undisturbed. That's a nice tactic (and was being used last night too :) A couple of times I got smoked by an enemy under sensor jammer protection right on the edge of my own base (you know who you are :) )

Cheers,

Toby Haynes