Save the crew!

Caseck

If I were designing a future combat vehicle there is no reason to put the crew/driver in the front.

They'll probably be driving and gunning via a virtual interface anyway. I would put them in the very rear of the vehicle, as far away from enemy fire as possible. No reason for them to ride in front, or for the gunner to be located in the turret. In a modern or future turret, a crewman would be a waste of volume you could put more ammo in.

Put every other "bullet soaking" component in front of the crew between them and the enemy. (Just like the Merkava does.) And give 'em the best escape route out the back of the chasis.

One thing I've noticed in game during testing is that the battlefield is extremely fluid given the ability to drop FCVs (Future Combat Vehicles - thanks for the acronym Caseck! *thumbs up*) almost anywhere and anytime on the battlefield, and thus there's no thing as a coherent frontline except maybe locally around the bases.

Hence, IMHO it's probably irrelevant where the crew is placed because you're as likely to take a hit from the rear as you are the side or front.

you're as likely to take a hit from the rear as you are the side or front.
This is largely a matter of the opposing team's skill level. I would say that the majority of the time it's pretty easy to orient your units so that the thicker frontal armor is facing toward the enemy. You're right that when death finally comes, it is often because the enemy has managed to flank you and you're shocked to see rounds punching into your rear or sides, but that of course indicates a failure of your team to protect the flanks and rear (or at least *warn* you about the threat). It is quite fluid but this usually simply means you need to continually adjust your idea of "toward the enemy" as the battle develops. Once he flanks you and is firing on you from multiple directions you have to redeploy.

Something heavy like a Thor in a good hull down position is very effective. Just making the enemy waste precious minutes finding a way around it in order to flank it is often good enough to serve your purposes.

Of course, *you're* often playing the role of the "shock troop" breaking through enemy defense with a Hurricane at high speed, so in that case it must seem that death from random directions is more typical! In fact, most of what I was saying above is more (but not exclusively) applicable in the defensive roles.

I didn't notice this addressed on the web page:

Will the crews be "brains in jars" with little spidery robot legs to minimize space/weight requirements, lower battle-field visibility in case they need to abandon the vehicle and allow for rocket assisted ground-to-orbit evacuation of properly equipped vehicles?

I've been assuming they would be, but of course one shouldn't assume.

That's an excellent idea.

Depends on technology really, but what you're talking about is almost a level of cybernetic PERFECTION. --Being able to transplant the human brain into a completely mechanical body.

That's pretty far out there. That's a perfect example of outside the box thinking! It is certainly in the realm of possibility. And it'd save a helluva lot of space on crew and environmental considerations!

And if you were a small 6lb brain, it'd be pretty easy to shoot ya' into orbit for evac!

I'd hate to do it, but I like the idea!

Cybernetic fusion effectively.

Its not too far out of the box as a similar idea is inherent in the Warhammer 40,000 universe in what is called "servitors". Basically they are mechanical bodies coupled with organic human brains to control them. Everything from point defense to space ship navigation and fire control can and is often relegated to servitors.

Of course the world of 40K is a blending of lost high technology, Gothic culture, mysticism and fanaticism. They do have some cool battles with Space Marines though. smile.gif

Madmatt

That's pretty far out there.

I hope not. "A game without brains in jars is hardly a game worth playing," has always been my motto.

That's a perfect example of outside the box thinking!
Actually, I think you'll find it's inside the box thinking. Outside the box thinking - no protective case at all - now I think that's pretty far out there.

Originally posted by ClaytoniousRex:

Yes, Jack, if damaged vehicles are extracted in one piece from the battlefield then they are repaired and become available for redeployment. The time to repair depends on the extent of damage.

Nice! Talk about cool! Salvaging parts from hit vehicles to repair others that are damaged is a great idea. Certainly a very futuristic idea. Plug and play or in this case plug and fight.

Good thinking!

[ January 17, 2006, 12:10 PM: Message edited by: Jack Carr ]