Sound files play too fast

Concord

Originally posted by Sergei:

Wrong sample or bit rate, most probably. Check what parameters the original WAV's use. It might be 44kHz and 16bit.

Thanks Sergei.

Checked their properties. Both the old and new wav's are 16 bit, but the new ones are 22 kHz instead of the original 44 kHz.

Is this the problem? All of the new ones were downloaded from cmmods for CMAK, so I wonder why they aren't compatable?

Is there an easy fix?

I believe the 22kHz sampling rate is what is causing the 'speed up' of the sound. Since it is half the rate of the original 44kHz, it is being played back twice as fast within CM. The demo versions of CM all used 22kHz sampled sounds (to reduce the download size).

I believe, though I haven't done it myself, you can convert your 16-bit, 22kHz sound files to 16-bit, 44kHz sound with the Sound Recorder applet in Windows XP (Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Entertainment). Open up the files that have the 22kHz sampling rate within Sound Recoder. Go to the File menu > Properties selection. Within this dialog there should be a 'Format Conversion' section where you can click on the 'Convert Now' button (you can leave the drop down box next to it at 'All Formats'). In the 'Name' drop down you can select 'CD Quality' which should autofill the other fields of 'Format' to PCM and 'Attributes' to 44.100 kHz, 16-bit, Stereo and 172 kb/sec. Click the OK button and the file should be conveted. Once you open another file or close Sound Recorder you'll be prompted to save the file changes.