What is a mod?

Oddball_E8

no dont get me wrong... i know what a mod is... but im in an argument with someone i know over the definition of a mod...

and considering im alot older than him i do believe im right (not just because of that, but because ive seen the term "mod" evolve over the years)

HIS definition of a mod is that you have to do everything from scratch yourself... ie. just changing the datafiles in a game doesnt make it a mod. this goes for everying like graphics and sound too...

the reason for the discussion was that i mentioned my soundmod for t-72 that im makinig and the soundmod ive done for the CM series...

he doesnt consider them mods since i havent created all those sounds myself... ive scoured the net for them of course...

and according to his definition any kind of realism mod for a game isnt a mod since it only modifies the existing datafiles for a game... but when i say that he just sais im twisting his words...

sorry... just had to get this out :mad:

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

Mod is short for modification. Some are of a greater magnitude than others, but ANY modification of the game datafiles, ie, your nice sound mod, is still a mod.

He loses. Major victory for you.

Totally agree.

It'd be a different story if your calling your mods things like "total redo" or "from scratch" or "complete overhaul". But even then, it would just be considered a misrepresentation of the lenght/size of the mod.

I think your friend thinks of mods as CSS is to HL2 or RO to UT2k4. Which are huge mods that are complete overhauls from the ground-up mods.

A mod is still a mod, whether it be a mini-mod or a huge mod.

Now go bask in the glory of being right! :D

Originally posted by Vergeltungswaffe:

Mod is short for modification. Some are of a greater magnitude than others, but ANY modification of the game datafiles, ie, your nice sound mod, is still a mod.

He loses. Major victory for you.

Yes, I agree wholeheartly... and wait for your soundmod (and others to come).

MOD is a MODIFICATION of some parts of a game

Back in the day, making things from scratch... I.e. a duke nukem game turned into a vietnam shooter would be called a Total Conversion = T.C. and a Mod was just editing some of the files... I.E. Making jetpack useable whenever, rpg fires 100x faster... guys ahve more health... sounds were changed... added a few new guns etc. all mods...

'Total conversion' Never hung around though... so people just use 'mod' now... E.G.

Counterstrike is a Mod for half-life

Your soundmod is a Mod for T-72...

Both are modifications... doesn't mean squat in what the difference is... YOU WIN lol