Steering = random to non-existent. Is it me?

spybaz

Hey, folks.

Just D/L'd the demo -

Is it just me or does the steering of this this tank take some special commands?

1) E = start engine

2) UP ARROW = throttle to half

3) B = release brake

4) A = change gear (have to be in 2nd gear to move[?])

5) a) Press left arrow = nothing happens

B) Release left arrow = tank jolts to right and stops turn (ok but no real control of steering)

c) Press right arrow = nothing happens

d) Release right arrow = tank jolts to left and stops turn (ok but no real control of steering)

e) Travelling straight now in 4th gear...PRESS RIGHT OR LEFT ARROW = NOTHING HAPPENS! RELEASE RIGHT OR LEFT ARROW = NOTHING HAPPENS!!

MULTIPLE RESTARTS BUT STILL CANNOT STEER TANK.

So - before I uninstall this demo I would love to know how you folks are steering the tank so I can at least see the potential of the graphics. I have a good vid card so I really wanted to check this out.

Thanks!

Athlon 2700+; Geforce 6600GT 128MB; gig of RAM; Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro; View Sonic VP201s 20.3" LCD display

Hmm, check the config file (you run the separate T72 configuration application via the programs group, not through the game) and see if joystick is on. My arrows work fine (you can also use the mouse to steer - hold down the left button and pull back to turn left etc), but when i had the joystick enabled it affected the arrows.

You can also use the keypad plus and minus buttons to change gears, or hit S while in the driver position to go to automatic gears.

I find the driving great fun.

I would recommend using your mouse, if you are actually in the driver's seat. If you have a mouse with a scroll wheel, use the wheel to control your RPM- shift up at around 2200, downshift before you hit about 1500- use Z and A keys for shifting.

You have to feed a little throttle (about three notches worth) before you press the E key (and hold it down)- the engine will turn over three or four times before it catches.

As Brian Smith said, left mouse back to turn left, right mouse back to turn right. You can get pretty fine control this way, with some practice.

Space bar is regular brakes, and B is the parking brake, as you have mentioned.

@moon

at point e) he tells that he was allready driving in 4th gear, so the engine should be running...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

hmm...meybe you should really check if the joystick is enabled! mine was off by default und everything was working!

i use the mouse to steer, and +/- buttons for changing gears. and in an noncombat situation where the ground is flat, use the automatic-transmission. but if it starts to go up and down, ich change to manual transmission again.

Pandur

spybaz, using the arrows is, imho, a very difficult way to steer.

There are two meters (next to the fuel flow meter) that represent the amount of brake you are applying to a particular side (left or right) to make the turn.

When using the mouse, the brake levers for steering are not "on or off." When you hold the left mouse button and drag to the left, you gradually apply more braking to the left instead of all or nothing, which makes it a lot easier to steer (and it's right mouse & drag right for the right brake).

I don't know if the arrow keys work in a similar way at all, but I found them to be much more frustrating to use.

Sorry for not posting a response earlier. I posted this twice, in the two forums but responded to only the other one.

The issue was caused by me not knowing that the tank was also controllable by a joystick. My joystick was plugged into my PC but laying on it's side on the floor thus overriding the keyboard commands.

I appreciate your responses though!