Anyone remember this tank movie?

Destraex

I saw a movie about 5 years ago about a russian t72 tank crew in the desert, it was called the tank or something similar.

At the end they are near a village that attacks and kills them???

Can't exactly remeber the name but want to track down and watch the film.

Any other modern tank film suggestions also appreciated

It was a T-54 or T-62, I can't remember which. The tanks (3 of 'em IIRC) were war booty of Israel, which is where the film was made. The story was based on a play set in Afghanistan during the 1st or 2nd year of the Soviet invasion. Overall it was a very good film, but it had one MAJOR inaccuracy. Anybody know what it was?

BTW, the Beast was the first film I ever saw that had a REAL "modern" Soviet tank in it. Iron Cross was the first movie I saw with REAL Soviet tanks of any sort. Few and far inbetween since then too.

Steve

Well the actor were Americans playing Russians with perfect american english; some say this was a error

but its more to illustrate(for western audiences)how it would feel for a fellow country men(in this case russian) watching this movie would feel, not some far off foriegn nationals that we are totally detached from.

but the afgans side actors did have good accents.

Nah, language is not usually considered an error since at least one language is usually the native one for the target audience. The alternative is subtitles or accented to mimic how the foreign language sounds spoken in the target language. But the former is impractical (as it is for books too, BTW), and the latter often comes off sounding stupid. In any case, it is no more realistic for the languge to be accented since, for example, Germans don't go around speaking English to each other with thick German accents. So it is silly to say that an actor who was coached to pronounce "Ws" as "Vs" and say "Ja" instead of "Yes" makes something more authentic. Being in New England I know I'd rather hear actors speak in their native accent rather than make a lame attempt at doing one of the local accents around me. VERY few can do it right, so it generally comes off sounding stupid. At least to me because I know the difference (I can only do the accent when I've had a few too many smile.gif )

Nope, I'm talking about a big, huge, fundamental, major, super duper mistake that is so bad that if they had corrected it they would have had to make an entirely different movie. Yup, I'm talking about a little more than some linguistics.

Anybody?

Steve

[ July 16, 2005, 11:13 PM: Message edited by: Battlefront.com ]

The Beast (aka The Beast of war) is my favourite movie ever! It was made in 1989 by Kevin Reynolds. I've got it on computer, VHS, and DVD, and I even managed to get the soundtrack of the film smile.gif The tank was infact a modified israeli T-62. I didnt mind the english "accent" of the actors at all, I think it was ok that way. And the guy, George Dzundza, who played the tank commander was brilliant! Guess from where I got my nickname: Daskal smile.gif

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Nope, I'm talking about a big, huge, fundamental, major, super duper mistake that is so bad that if they had corrected it they would have had to make an entirely different movie. Yup, I'm talking about a little more than some linguistics.

Anybody?

The fact that they managed to fit 4th guy in the turret making "T-62" a 5 crewman tank?

Diesel has it right. Gold Star for you, Diesel :D

The crew in the movie consisted of 5 men in the movie, but the norm for Soviet main battle tanks, since WWII even, is a crew of 4. A major accuracy problem that could not be fixed without gutting a big part of the story because each character represented distinctly different things. Trimming down the crew size would have eliminated that representation.

Also, the tank commander supposedly was knocking out German tanks in Stalingrad. I think he said he was 8 years old at the time. That would have made him pretty old for a lowly tank commander by most standards, though I do not know what the case actually was for TCs in Afghanistan.

Steve

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Also, the tank commander supposedly was knocking out German tanks in Stalingrad.

Another odd thing besides his age was how he told that he was lowered on top of german panzers via rope to set up molotov coktails. Why didn't he just throw them......

Anyone here seen the movie 'wheels of terror' based on the book from Sven Hassel,saw it years ago on VHS tape,about a german tank crew fighting the soviets.

Book Description

The best-selling military writer returns to his comrades in 27th penal battalion, offering another gritty, realistic view of the ordinary soldier in wartime. Now stationed at the Russian Front, and equipped with armored vehicles, Sven Hassel's band of warriors from the German army gird for the next battles. Caught between the insane orders of the Nazi high command and the overwhelming numbers of Russian soldiers, they prepare to fight on nonetheless--and will do anything to survive the inferno. A remorseless ride through a man-made hell.

Originally posted by sparksz:

Yes, from what I can remember they fighting in a Stug, jagdpanzer or similar.

Yes, but it was a Soviet Stug ;) - either an SU-85 or SU-100, can't remember which, since it's a long time ago since I saw the movie.

Cheers,

Erling

• 1 month later...
Also, the tank commander supposedly was knocking out German tanks in Stalingrad. I think he said he was 8 years old at the time. That would have made him pretty old for a lowly tank commander by most standards, though I do not know what the case actually was for TCs in Afghanistan.

27-29 years maximum if he was a sergeant and up to 47 years if he was an officer. Most likely 19-20 years old smile.gif