Hmm in the T72 shooting gallery.wmv is see a tank shot in the tread and explode.

Shrap

T72 shooting gallery.wmv

The second tank he shoots (after shooting the AA gun). He hits it in the tread and the tank explodes into a ball of fire.

This game touts realism so I'm curious on how that happened.

BTW: Not accusing just curious.

I must admit, that did look odd to me as well. But IIRC it was the 2nd or 3rd shot on the tank. So i guess maybe a HE shell hitting the track could cause that to happen on multiple direct hits.

But then again, i sure as hell wouldn't know.

In general, the armor penetration and post-penetration effects model is spot on in T72, from what I have seen in quite a lot of... uh... testing smile.gif I gotta look at the movie in question to see what happened, but perhaps the explosion was from a previous hit? (Ammo cooking off and all sorts of secondary hit effects are modelled in detail)

Martin

He did shoot it previous to the shot to the treads but it doesn't look like the previous damage caused the massive explosion of the tank.

Here are two screen shots,

#1 is right before the trigger is pulled:

T72_1.jpg

#2 is the resulting destruction.

T72_2.jpg

Hmmm... was the impact at the target at the spot that the reticle points at though? Notice that Matt didn't properly use the rangefinder tongue.gif It's possible that the impact was in another spot...? (sorry, still didn't get around to check the movie)

Martin

Actually, from what I could tell (and I am the one that made the movie) the shell actually hits a little low and to the left of the reticule and most of the fireball you see is the explosion of the shell itself. Notice how it cratered the ground and the left side of SU-100 actually falls into the resulting hole. The SU-100 itself I believe catches fire due to damage from the force of the shell explosion itself.

One nice thing you can do in the game is after a mission you can review all damage that each unit sustains and it will show what unit fired the shots, how much and type of penetration and will even show the path of fragments and large shrapnel through the armor plates.

Madmatt

[ June 17, 2005, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Madmatt ]

Hmm, I didn't think fragments/fire from a nearby explosion could penetrate tank armor. Especially since a direct hit the shot you fired before looked like it hardly scratched the tank.

Would be nice to see the damage log for that shot but I guess it's too late now.

[ June 17, 2005, 07:03 PM: Message edited by: Shrap ]

Originally posted by Shrap:

...the shot you fired before looked like it hardly scratched the tank.

Yeah, i really wish there was more visual marks/dents/scars from direct hits. Obviously though, im sure the damage from the direct hit will be modeled. But it'd be great to see more effects like sparks or something, rather than either a full explosion/brewed up tank or a unscratched looking tank. The actual explosions don't look all that good IMO, kinda plain looking. Then again i haven't played the game, just judging from what i see in the videos. But in all honesty, i care more about how it plays then it looks.

And on that note, where's the demo you bastards? :D